How to sum / average ignore negative values in Excel?
Normally, we can apply the SUM and AVERAGE functions to calculate the result of a range of cells including positives and negatives, but, how can we sum or average numbers ignore the negative values in Excel? Here, I will talk about some quick tricks to deal with this problem.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
To sum or average all values excluding the negative numbers, please apply the following formulas:
Sum ignore negative values:
1. Enter this formula into a blank cell where you want to put the result, =SUMIF(A1:D9,">=0"), see screenshot:
2. Then press Enter key to get the result, see screenshot:
Average ignore negative values:
To average ignore the negative values, please use this formula: =SUMIF(A1:D9,">=0")/COUNTIF(A1:D9,">=0").
Note: In the above formulas, A1:D9 is the data range that you want to use, you can change the cell reference as your need.
Kutools for Excel’s Select Specific Cells feature can help you to select all non-negative numbers at once, and get the calculations, such as sum, average, count at the status bar.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:
1. Select the cells that you want to use.
2. Click Kutools > Select > Select Specific Cells, see screenshot:
3. In the Select Specific Cells dialog box, do the following operations:
(1.) Select Cell from the Selection type;
(2.) Choose Greater than or equal to from the Specific type, and enter 0 in the text box.
4. Then click Ok or Apply button, all numbers exclude negatives have been selected, and you can view the result of the average, count, sum calculations at the bottom of the status bar, see screenshot: