How to sum / average ignore negative values in Excel?
Normally, we can apply the SUM and AVERAGE functions to calculate the result of a range of cells including positives and negatives, but, how can we sum or average numbers ignore the negative values in Excel? Here, I will talk about some quick tricks to deal with this problem.
To sum or average all values excluding the negative numbers, please apply the following formulas:
Sum ignore negative values:
1. Enter this formula into a blank cell where you want to put the result, =SUMIF(A1:D9,">=0"), see screenshot:
2. Then press Enter key to get the result, see screenshot:
Average ignore negative values:
To average ignore the negative values, please use this formula: =SUMIF(A1:D9,">=0")/COUNTIF(A1:D9,">=0").
Note: In the above formulas, A1:D9 is the data range that you want to use, you can change the cell reference as your need.
Kutools for Excel’s Select Specific Cells feature can help you to select all non-negative numbers at once, and get the calculations, such as sum, average, count at the status bar.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:
1. Select the cells that you want to use.
2. Click Kutools > Select > Select Specific Cells, see screenshot:
3. In the Select Specific Cells dialog box, do the following operations:
(1.) Select Cell from the Selection type;
(2.) Choose Greater than or equal to from the Specific type, and enter 0 in the text box.
4. Then click Ok or Apply button, all numbers exclude negatives have been selected, and you can view the result of the average, count, sum calculations at the bottom of the status bar, see screenshot:
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 11 months agoThanks! I found this quick and it solved my issue with the excel sum function to ignore values with negative numbers. Hope it helps many other people, thanks for making this.