How to mass convert text to date in Excel?
Supposing you have a list of dates, but these dates are in text format as below screenshot shown, now you want to convert these text dates to real date, how can you quickly solve it? This tutorial is going to tell you the quick tricks to mass convert the texts to dates in Excel.
|Kutools' Convert Time utility can quickly convert a time to decimal hours, minutes, seconds.|
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
To convert the text to date, you can use formula =DATEVALUE().
1. Select a blank cell next to the text data, then type the formula =DATEVALUE(A2), (A2 is the text data), then press Enter keyand then drag autofill handle down to apply this formula to the cells. See screenshots:
2. Keep selecting the returned digits and right click to select Format Cells from the context menu, and in the Format Cells dialog, under Number tab, select Date, and then select a date type from the right list as you need, see screenshot:
3. Click OK. Now the text dates are converted to dates.
But with the formula =DATEVALUE(), you cannot convert some special text dates to dates, such as Friday, Aug 21,2015, Dec 12,2015 and 5/18/14,13:43. But with below handy tool, you can convert all these texts to dates.
If you have Kutools for Excel installed, you can apply its Convert to Date utility to quickly mass convert texts to dates.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 120 handy Excel functions, enhance your working efficiency and save your working time.|
After free installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:
1. Select the text dates you want convert to dates, and click Kutools > Content > Convert to Date, see screenshot:
2. Then a Convert to Date dialog pops out to show how many text dates have been successfully converted to dates. See screenshot:
3. Close the Convert to Date dialog.