How to maximize all columns in Excel?
In Excel, the column width is 8.38 characters long in default, but in many times, the text strings we type in the cells are longer than this standard, so that we need to maximize the columns to show the whole text string. Here I introduce multiple tricks to maximize all columns in Excel.
If you want to maximize all columns to auto fit your cell contents, you can do as these:
1. Activate the worksheet you want to maximize columns, and click the button at the top-left corner of this worksheet to select the whole worksheet, see screenshot:
2. Then put the cursor at one of the column border, and double click it, then all the columns are automatically adjusted to fit the cell contents. See screenshots:
If you want to maximize columns to a fixed width as you need, you can drag the column border or go to Format to adjust the width of column.
Dragging column border
click the button at the top-left corner of active worksheet to select all cells in the worksheet, and place cursor at one of the column border, then drag the border to left or right to meet your need. See screenshots:
Format the column width
Select the whole worksheet, and click Home > Format > Column Width. See screenshot:
Then in the popping Column Width dialog, type the width you need into the textbox, and click OK button. Here I want to maximize it to put 15 characters. See screenshot:
Now all the columns are maximized to 15 characters long.
If you want to maximize the column width in a fixed centimeter, pixel, pound or inch, you can use Kutools for Excel, a handy add-in tool.
With Kutools for Excel installed, you can apply Adjust Cell Size utility to change the cell’s width or height as you need.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 300 handy functions, makes your jobs more easier.|
After free installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:
1. Select any blank cell and press Ctrl + A keys to select whole worksheet, and click Kutools > Format > Adjust Cell Size. See screenshot:
2. Then in the Adjust Cell Size dialog, select a unit you want in Unit type section, and check Column width only, and type the length number you need into the below textbox. See screenshot:
3. Click Ok. Now all column widths are maximize to 4 centimeters.
If you want to change the row height together, you can check both Row height and Column width checkboxes, and type the height and width into the textboxes.