How to count cells by specific formatting such as Bold, Italic in Excel?
Let’s say you have bolded some cells in a worksheet before, and now you need to count these bold cells. Any idea to quickly solve it? This article provides some tricks to count cells by specific formatting, such as bold, italic, etc.
Kutools for Excel released COUNTBYFONTBOLD function and SUMBYFONTBOLD function for Excel users quickly count or sum bolder cells in a specified range easily. See screenshot:
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
Actually we can find out all cells with specific formatting in a range/worksheet with the Find and Replace feature, and then count these formatting cells easily in Excel.
1. Select the range that you will count cells by specific formatting, and open the Find and Replace dialog by pressing the Ctrl + F keys simultaneously.
Note: You can also open the Find and Replace dialog box by clicking Home > Find & Select > Find.
2. In the Find and Replace dialog box, please click the Options button to expand the find options, and then click the Format button.
3. In the opening Find Format dialog box, specify the formatting you will count cells by, and click the OK button.
For example, in our case we will count cells by bold, therefore we go to the Font tab and select the Bold in the Font style box. See screenshot:
4. Now you get back to the Find and Replace dialog box, and please click the Find All button.
Now you will see the amount of cells with the specific formatting at the bottom of this dialog box. See screenshot:
If you have Kutools for Excel installed, its Select Cells with Format utility can help you quickly count all cells in a range by specific formatting. Please do as follows:
1. Select the range that you will count by specific formatting, and click Kutools > Select > Select Cells with Format.
2. In the opening Select Cells with Format dialog box, please do as follows (see screenshot above):
(1) Click the Choose Format From Cell button and select a cell with the specific formatting, such as Bold.
(2) Uncheck all formatting option except the specific formatting in the Type list.
In our case, we only check the Bold option as left screenshot shown:
(3) Click the Ok button.
3. Now a dialog box comes out and displays how many cells match the specified formatting. Click the Yes button to select these cells in the selected range.