How to count specific characters (comma/semicolon/question marks) in cell/range in Excel?
For example there is a long sentence in a cell, and you need to count the number of commas in this sentence/cell, how to easily solve it? And how about counting the commas or other specific characters in a range? The following methods will ease your work.
This method will introduce a formula to count a specific character in a cell. Here I will take the comma for example, and show you the detailed steps to count the number of comma in a cell.
Select a blank cell for locating the counting result, enter the formula =LEN(A2)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A2,",","")) into it, and then drag this cell’s Fill Handle to the range as you need. See below screenshots:
Kutools for Excel developed a COUNTCHAR function which can help you easily count a specific character in a text string or a cell. You can try it as follows:
1. Select a blank cell where you will return the counting result, and click Kutools > Functions > Statistical & Math > COUNTCHAR. See screenshot:
2. Now the Function Arguments dialog box pops out, specify the cell or text string where you will count the specific characters in the Within_text box, and type the specific character in the Find_text box, and click the OK button.
3. Keep selecting this function cell, and drag its Fill Handle for applying this function to the range as you need.
Sometimes you may need to count the number of a specific character in a range. Actually Kutools for Excel collects some commonly-used formulas which can help you solve it easily.
1. Select a blank cell that you will return the counting result, and click Kutools > Formulas > Count Times a word appears. See screenshot:
2. In the opening Formula Helper dialog box, specify the range you will count the specific character in the Text box, and type the specific character into the Word box. See screenshot:
Note: Please enclose the specific character with quotes, such as “,” in the Word box.
3. Click the Ok button. Then the occurrences of this specific character has been counted and returned into the selected cell.
Note: This formula can also count the number of a specific character in a single cell. See below screenshot:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!