Can u please help me.
How to import csv file into worksheet?
It may be easy for us to import or save worksheet as CSV file, but, have you ever tried import CSV file into worksheet? This article, I will talk about some interesting methods for you to deal with this task.
Recommended Productivity Tools for Excel
Office Tab: Bring powerful tabs to Office (include Excel), just like Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer. Save you half the time, and reduce thousands of mouse clicks for you. 30-day Unlimited Free Trial
Kutools for Excel: Save 71% of your time and solve 82% Excel problems for you. 300+ advanced tools designed for 1500+ work scenario, make Excel much easy and increase productivity immediately.60-day Unlimited Free Trial
Normally, in Excel, you can apply the Text Import Wizard function to import the CSV file to a worksheet, please do as follows:
1. Activate the worksheet that you want to import the CSV file, then click Data > From Text, see screenshot:
2. In the Import Text File window, please specify the CSV file that you want to import, see screenshot:
3. Then click Import button, in the Step 1 of the Text Import Wizard, select Delimited option, see screenshot:
4. Then click Next > button, in the Step 2 of the wizard, check Comma under the Delimiters option, see screenshot:
5. Then go on clicking Next > button, in Step 3 of the wizard, select Text option under Column data format section, and you can see the first column will be highlighted. Then hold the Shift key to highlight all columns. See screenshot:
6. Then click Finish button, in the popped out Import Data dialog box, choose the location where you want to put the data, see screenshot:
7. Click OK button, the CSV file has been imported to the worksheet at once.
If you are tired of the above method step by step, the following VBA code also can solve this problem.
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys, and it opens the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module Window.
VBA code：Import CSV file to worksheet:
Sub ImportCSVFile() 'Updateby Extendoffice 20150909 Dim xFileName As Variant Dim Rg As Range Dim xAddress As String xFileName = Application.GetOpenFilename("CSV File (*.csv), *.csv", , "Kutools for Excel", , False) If xFileName = False Then Exit Sub On Error Resume Next Set Rg = Application.InputBox("please select a cell to output the data", "Kutools for Excel", Application.ActiveCell.Address, , , , , 8) On Error GoTo 0 If Rg Is Nothing Then Exit Sub xAddress = Rg.Address With ActiveSheet.QueryTables.Add("TEXT;" & xFileName, Range(xAddress)) .FieldNames = True .RowNumbers = False .FillAdjacentFormulas = False .PreserveFormatting = True .RefreshOnFileOpen = False .RefreshStyle = xlInsertDeleteCells .SavePassword = False .SaveData = True .RefreshPeriod = 0 .TextFilePromptOnRefresh = False .TextFilePlatform = 936 .TextFileStartRow = 1 .TextFileParseType = xlDelimited .TextFileTextQualifier = xlTextQualifierDoubleQuote .TextFileConsecutiveDelimiter = False .TextFileTabDelimiter = True .TextFileSemicolonDelimiter = False .TextFileCommaDelimiter = True .TextFileSpaceDelimiter = False .TextFileTrailingMinusNumbers = True .Refresh BackgroundQuery:=False End With End Sub
3. Then press F5 key to run this code, and choose the CSV file that you want to import in the popped out Kutools for Excel dialog, see screenshot:
4. Then click Open button, and click a cell where you want to put the imported data, see screenshot:
5. And then click OK, the specific CSV file has been imported into the worksheet.
If you have Kutools for Excel, with its Insert File at Cursor utility, you can quickly import the CSV file, Text file, Excel file or PRN file to current worksheet.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:
1. Activate a worksheet where you want to import the CSV file data.
2. Then click Enterprise > Import / Export > Insert File at Cursor, see screenshot:
3. In the Insert File at Cursor dialog box, please do the following options:
(1.) Click button to select a cell where you want to output the data;
(2.) Then click Browse button to open the Select a file to be inserted at the cell cursor position window;
(3.) In the popped out window, choose CSV Files from the right bottom drop down list, and then select the CSV file you want to import.
4. After specifying the CSV file, click Open button to return the former dialog box, and then click OK to import the CSV file. And the CSV file will be inserted into the specific location you need.