How to remove certain/specific character from cell in Excel?
Suppose you have a range of data, and you want to remove certain character from each string, such as the character “S” as below screenshot shown, in Excel, do you have any good idea to solve this task? Now I introduce some tricks for you to remove a specific character from cell strings in Excel.
Easily and quickly remove character by same position from each cell in Excel
|If you want to remove the forth character from each cells in a list, how can you quickly solve this job? Here, the Remove by Position utility of Kutools for Excel -- a addin tool can easily remove characters by position without formulas. Click for 60 days free trial!|
|Kutools for Excel: with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
Recommended Productivity Tools for Excel
Office Tab: Bring powerful tabs to Office (include Excel), just like Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer. Save you half the time, and reduce thousands of mouse clicks for you. 30-day Unlimited Free Trial
Kutools for Excel: Save 71% of your time and solve 82% Excel problems for you. 300+ advanced tools designed for 1500+ work scenario, make Excel much easy and increase productivity immediately.60-day Unlimited Free Trial
In Excel, you can find out all character “S” first, then replace the character with nothing.
1. Select a range or the whole worksheet as you need, and press Ctrl + H to display Find and Replace dialog, then type S into the Find what textbox, and leave nothing in Replace with text box. See screenshot:
Tip: If you have both uppercase “S” and lowercase “s”, and want case-sensitive replacements, you can click Options to expand the dialog, and check Match case.
2. Click Replace All. Then a dialog will pop out to remind you the number of replacements, and just click OK to close it.
If you have Kutools for Excel, you can use the Remove Characters utility to remove certain characters from string quickly.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 300 handy functions, makes your jobs more easier.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:（Free Download Kutools for Excel Now!)
1. Select the cells you want to remove the specific characters, and then click Kutools > Text > Remove Characters. See screenshot:
2. Then in the Remove Characters dialog, check Custom option only, then type the characters you want to remove from strings, (it is case sensitive), you can see the result in the Preview pane. See screenshot:
3. Click Ok. Then all characters “S” are removed from each string of the selection.
Tip: If you want to remove many characters “a” and “B” and “1” from strings, you just need to type “aB1” into Custom textbox. See screenshot:
Tabbed browsing & editing multiple Excel workbooks/Word documents as Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explore 10!
You may be familiar to view multiple webpages in Firefox/Chrome/IE, and switch between them by clicking corresponding tabs easily. Here, Office Tab supports similar processing, which allow you to browse multiple Excel workbooks or Word documents in one Excel window or Word window, and easily switch between them by clicking their tabs. Click for free 45-day trial of Office Tab!