How to remove certain/specific character from cell in Excel?
Suppose you have a range of data, and you want to remove certain character from each string, such as the character “S” as below screenshot shown, in Excel, do you have any good idea to solve this task? Now I introduce some tricks for you to remove a specific character from cell strings in Excel.
Easily and quickly remove character by same position from each cell in Excel
|If you want to remove the forth character from each cells in a list, how can you quickly solve this job? Here, the Remove by Position utility of Kutools for Excel -- a addin tool can easily remove characters by position without formulas. Click for 30-day free trial.|
|Kutools for Excel: with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days.|
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
In Excel, you can find out all character “S” first, then replace the character with nothing.
1. Select a range or the whole worksheet as you need, and press Ctrl + H to display Find and Replace dialog, then type S into the Find what textbox, and leave nothing in Replace with text box. See screenshot:
Tip: If you have both uppercase “S” and lowercase “s”, and want case-sensitive replacements, you can click Options to expand the dialog, and check Match case.
2. Click Replace All. Then a dialog will pop out to remind you the number of replacements, and just click OK to close it.
If you have Kutools for Excel, you can use the Remove Characters utility to remove certain characters from string quickly.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 300 handy functions, makes your jobs more easier.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:（Free Download Kutools for Excel Now!)
1. Select the cells you want to remove the specific characters, and then click Kutools > Text > Remove Characters. See screenshot:
2. Then in the Remove Characters dialog, check Custom option only, then type the characters you want to remove from strings, (it is case sensitive), you can see the result in the Preview pane. See screenshot:
3. Click Ok. Then all characters “S” are removed from each string of the selection.
Tip: If you want to remove many characters “a” and “B” and “1” from strings, you just need to type “aB1” into Custom textbox. See screenshot:
Tabbed browsing & editing multiple Excel workbooks/Word documents as Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explore 10!
You may be familiar to view multiple webpages in Firefox/Chrome/IE, and switch between them by clicking corresponding tabs easily. Here, Office Tab supports similar processing, which allow you to browse multiple Excel workbooks or Word documents in one Excel window or Word window, and easily switch between them by clicking their tabs. Click for free 30-day trial of Office Tab!