How to remove certain/specific character from cell in Excel?
Suppose you have a range of data, and you want to remove certain character from each string, such as the character “-” as below screenshot shown, in Excel, do you have any good idea to solve this task? Now I introduce some tricks for you to remove a specific character from cell strings in Excel.
In Excel, you can find out all character “-” first, then replace the character with nothing.
1. Select a range or the whole worksheet as you need, and press Ctrl + H to display Find and Replace dialog, then type - into the Find what textbox, and leave nothing in Replace with text box. See screenshot:
Tip: If the character you want to remove is alphabetical charatcer, and you want to find them in case sensitive, you can click Options to expand the dialog, and check Match case.
2. Click Replace All. Then a dialog will pop out to remind you the number of replacements, and just click OK to close it.
If you have Kutools for Excel, you can use the Remove Characters utility to remove certain characters from string quickly.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 300 handy functions, makes your jobs more easier.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:（Free Download Kutools for Excel Now!)
1. Select the cells you want to remove the specific characters, and then click Kutools > Text > Remove Characters. See screenshot:
2. Then in the Remove Characters dialog, check Custom option only, then type the characters you want to remove from strings, (it is case sensitive), you can see the result in the Preview pane. See screenshot:
3. Click Ok. Then all characters “-” are removed from each string of the selection.
Tip: If you want to remove several characters such as "-" and "K" from strings, just directly type the characters you want to remove “-K” into Custom textbox. See screenshot:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!