How to split multiline cell contents into separated rows/columns in Excel?
Supposing you have multiline cell content which is separated by Alt + Enter, and now you need to split the multiline contents to separated rows or columns, what can you do? In this artical, you will learn how to quickly split multiline cell contents into separated rows or columns.
With the Text to Columns function, you can split multiline cell contents into separate columns.
1. Select the cells with multiline contents you want to split to separate columns, then click Data > Text to Columns. See screenshot:
2. In the first Convert Text to Columns Wizard dialog box, select Delimited option, and then click the Next button.
3. In the second Convert Text to Columns Wizard dialog box, only check the Other box, hold the Alt key and enter number 0010 into the following blank box. Then click the Next button. See screenshot:
4. In the third Convert Text to Columns Wizard dialog box, select a cell for placing the split contents in the Destination box, and finally click the Finish button.
Then the selected multiline cells’ contents are split into separated columns as below screenshot shown.
If you want to split the multiline cell contents to multiple rows, the Text To Column feature may not help you. But, the Split Cells utility of Kutools for Excel can help you quickly split multiline cell contents into separate rows or columns. Please do as follows.
Before applying Kutools for Excel, please download and install it firstly.
1. Select the cells with multiline contents you want to split to separate rows or columns, then click Kutools > Merge & Split > Split Cells. See screenshot:
2. In the Split Cells dialog box, you need to do as follows:
- (1) If you want to split cells to rows, please select the Split to Rows option, otherwise, select the Split to Columns option.
- (2) In the Specify a separator section, select New line option
- (3) Finally click the OK button
3. In the next popping up dialog box, select a blank cell for locating the split text, and then click the OK button.
You can see the split result as bellows screenshots shown.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!