How to move cell values without replacing in Excel
Let’s say you select consecutive cells and move them to other range in Excel, the selected cells will overwrite the destination cells automatically. But sometimes you may need to reserve the destination cell values. Apart from copying and pasting destination cell values before moving selected cell, there are some tricky methods to help you solve it easily.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
If you move selected cells with holding the Shift key, selected cells won’t replace destination cells in Excel.
1. Select the range you will move (in our case we select B2:B3).
2. Move mouse over the range border until the cursor changes to a cross ; next hold the Shift key and drag the selected range to destination range. See screenshot:
In our case, we need to move B2:B3 to B8:B9. With this method, you will see B2:B3 is moved to B8:B9, and original B4:B9 is moved up to B2:B7. See screenshots:
If you have Kutools for Excel installed, its Swap Ranges utility can help you move cells without replacing destination cells, but exchanging selected cells and destination cells.
1. Click Kutools > Range > Swap Ranges to open Swap Ranges dialog box.
2. In the opening Swap Ranges dialog box, specify the cells you will move into Swap Range 1 box, specify destination cells into Swap Range 2 box, and click the Ok button. See screenshots:
In our case, we need to move B2:B3 to B8:B9. With this Swap Ranges utility, you will see B2:B3 is moved to B8:B9, while original B8:B9 is moved to B2:B3. See above screenshots:
Note: The Swap Range utility requires the swap range 1 and swap range 2 contain the same number of both rows and columns.
The Swap Ranges utility of Kutools for Excel can relieve you from copying and pasting range, and directly exchange the values in two ranges at once.