For example there are many numbers mixed in a text string, and you want to remove these numbers from the text string. How to get it done? This article will introduce a couple of tricky methods to remove numbers from text string cells in Excel easily.
Remove numbers from text strings with User Defined Function
This method will introduce a User Defined Function to remove numbers from text strings easily in Excel. Please do as follows:
1. Press Alt + F11 keys simultaneously to open the Microsoft Basic for Application window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and then paste the following VBA code into the opening Module window.
VBA: Remove Numbers from Text Strings in Excel
Function RemoveNumbers(Txt As String) As String
.Global = True
.Pattern = "[0-9]"
RemoveNumbers = .Replace(Txt, "")
3. Save the Use defined Function. Select a blank cell that you will return the text string without numbers, enter the formula =RemoveNumbers(A2) (A2 is the cell you will remove numbers from), and then drag the Fill Handle down to the range as you need.
Remove numbers from text strings with Kutools for Excel
This method will introduce Kutools for Excel’s Remove Characters utility to quickly remove all numbers from text string cells in Excel. Please do as follows:
1. Select the text string cells that you will remove numbers from, and click Kutools > Text > Remove Characters.
2. In the opening Remove Characters dialog box, please check the Numeric option, and click the Ok button.
Then you will see all numbers are removed from selected text string cells at once. See Screenshot:
Note: Sometimes you may need to remove numbers and other special marks from the text string cells, and leave letters only. You can get it done by checking the Non-alpha option and clicking the Ok button in the Remove Characters dialog box. See screenshot:
Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
More than 300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.