How to remove numbers from text strings in Excel?
For example there are many numbers mixed in a text string, and you want to remove these numbers from the text string. How to get it done? This article will introduce a couple of tricky methods to remove numbers from text string cells in Excel easily.
- Remove numbers from text strings with User Defined Function
- Remove numbers from text strings with Kutools for Excel
This method will introduce a User Defined Function to remove numbers from text strings easily in Excel. Please do as follows:
1. Press Alt + F11 keys simultaneously to open the Microsoft Basic for Application window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and then paste the following VBA code into the opening Module window.
VBA: Remove Numbers from Text Strings in Excel
Function RemoveNumbers(Txt As String) As String With CreateObject("VBScript.RegExp") .Global = True .Pattern = "[0-9]" RemoveNumbers = .Replace(Txt, "") End With End Function
3. Save the Use defined Function. Select a blank cell that you will return the text string without numbers, enter the formula =RemoveNumbers(A2) (A2 is the cell you will remove numbers from), and then drag the Fill Handle down to the range as you need.
This method will introduce Kutools for Excel’s Remove Characters utility to quickly remove all numbers from text string cells in Excel. Please do as follows:
1. Select the text string cells that you will remove numbers from, and click Kutools > Text > Remove Characters.
2. In the opening Remove Characters dialog box, please check the Numeric option, and click the Ok button.
Then you will see all numbers are removed from selected text string cells at once. See Screenshot:
Note: Sometimes you may need to remove numbers and other special marks from the text string cells, and leave letters only. You can get it done by checking the Non-alpha option and clicking the Ok button in the Remove Characters dialog box. See screenshot:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!