How to change all caps to lowercase except first letter in Excel?
How could you change all capital letters to lowercase except the first letter of words in a column? In Excel, you can change all caps to lowercase except first letter of each word or all caps to lowercase except first letter of a sentence with following methods:
If you want to change all uppercase to lowercase but keep the first letter of each word uppercase in a range of cells, the function of Proper in Excel may help you, please do as follows:
1. Enter the formula: =PROPER(A1) into a blank cell, C1 for instance, where you want to get the result, see screenshot:
2. Then drag the fill handle down to the cells that you want to apply this formula, and every letter has been converted to lowercase except the first letter of each word, see screenshot:
To change all caps to lowercase but the first letter in a sentence, you can apply the following formula to solve it.
1. Enter the following formula into a blank cell, C1, for example, =UPPER(LEFT(A1,1))&LOWER(RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-1)) (A1 is the cell reference that you want to use), see screenshot:
2. Then drag the fill handle down to the cells that you want to contain this formula, all capital text strings have been converted to lowercase except the first letter of each the string, see screenshot:
Kutools for Excel’s Change Case utility can help you quickly convert all uppercase to lowercase, proper case, sentence case and toggle case as you need without any formulas.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:
1. Select the text strings that you want to convert to lowercase but keep the first letter uppercase.
2. Then click Kutools > Text > Change Case, see screenshot:
3. In the Change Case dialog box:
(1.) Select Proper Case to change all caps to lowercase except the first letter of each word;
(2.) Select Sentence Case to change all caps to lowercase except the first letter only of each string.
4. After choosing your desired option, then click Ok or Apply button, and you will get the result that you need.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!