How to count unique values in a filtered column in Excel?
If you have a list of names which populated with some duplicates in a filtered column, and now, you want to count the number of unique names only from this filtered list. Do you have any good solutions to quickly deal with this job in Excel?
The following array formula may help you to solve this task quickly and easily, please do as follows:
Enter the following formula into a blank cell where you want to put the result: =SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(SUBTOTAL(3,OFFSET(D2,ROW(D2:D22)-ROW(D2),,1)), IF(D2:D22<>"",MATCH("~"&D2:D22,D2:D22&"",0))),ROW(D2:D22)-ROW(D2)+1),1)), and then press Shift + Ctrl + Enter keys together to get the correct calculation, see screenshot:
Note: In the above formula, D2:D22 is the filter list that you want to count the number of unique names from, you can change it to your need.
If you are tired of the long formula above, here, I can recommend a useful tool-Kutools for Excel, with its Select Duplicate & Unique Cells utility, you can quickly select and count only the unique values in a filtered list without any formulas.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do with the following steps:( Free Download Kutools for Excel Now )
1. Select the filtered data list that you want to count the number of unique values.
2. Then click Kutools > Select > Select Duplicate & Unique Cells, see screenshot:
3. In the Select Duplicate & Unique Cells dialog box, check Unique values only or All unique (Including 1st duplicates) option that you want to use. See screenshot:
4. Then click Ok button, all unique values have been selected and a prompt box will pop out to remind you how many unique cells have been selected. See screenshot:
5. And then click OK button to close the dialogs.
Note: With this feature, you can also highlight the unique values with a background or font color as you need.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!