How to count unique values in a filtered column in Excel?
If you have a list of names which populated with some duplicates in a filtered column, and now, you want to count the number of unique names only from this filtered list. Do you have any good solutions to quickly deal with this job in Excel?
The following array formula may help you to solve this task quickly and easily, please do as follows:
Enter the following formula into a blank cell where you want to put the result: =SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(SUBTOTAL(3,OFFSET(D2,ROW(D2:D22)-ROW(D2),,1)), IF(D2:D22<>"",MATCH("~"&D2:D22,D2:D22&"",0))),ROW(D2:D22)-ROW(D2)+1),1)), and then press Shift + Ctrl + Enter keys together to get the correct calculation, see screenshot:
Note: In the above formula, D2:D22 is the filter list that you want to count the number of unique names from, you can change it to your need.
|May be these formulas are difficult for you to remember to use next time, so, you can add and save these formulas into the Auto Text, and then you can reuse them anytime in any workbooks. Read more about this feature...|
If you are tired of the long formula above, here, I can recommend a useful tool-Kutools for Excel, with its Select Duplicate & Unique Cells utility, you can quickly select and count only the unique values in a filtered list without any formulas.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do with the following steps:( Free Download Kutools for Excel Now )
1. Select the filtered data list that you want to count the number of unique values.
2. Then click Kutools > Select > Select Duplicate & Unique Cells, see screenshot:
3. In the Select Duplicate & Unique Cells dialog box, check Unique values only or All unique (Including 1st duplicates) option that you want to use. See screenshot:
4. Then click Ok button, all unique values have been selected and a prompt box will pop out to remind you how many unique cells have been selected. See screenshot:
5. And then click OK button to close the dialogs.
Note: With this feature, you can also highlight the unique values with a background or font color as you need.