How to make cells bold if greater than certain number in Excel?
Supposing you have a range of numbers, and you would like to outstand some cells with bold font if the cell value is greater than a certain number such as 90, what can you do? This article will show you three methods to achieve it in details.
Make cells bold if greater than certain number with Conditional Formatting
Make cells bold if greater than certain number with VBA code
Make cells bold if greater than certain number with Kutools for Excel
You can apply the Conditional Formatting feature to make cells bold if the cells’ value are greater than a certain number in Excel. Please do as follows.
1. Select the range of cells you want to bold the numbers greater than a specific number, and then click Conditional Formatting > New Rule under Home tab. See screenshot:
2. In the New Formatting Rule dialog box, you need to:
3. In the Format Cells dialog box, click Bold in the Font style box under Font tab, and then click the OK button.
4. When it returns the New Formatting Rule dialog box, click the OK button.
Then all cells which greater than 90 are formatted with bold font immediately in selected range.
Besides the above method, you can apply VBA code to make cells bold if greater than certain number in Excel.
1. Press Alt + F11 keys simultaneously to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. In the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, click Insert > Module. Then copy and paste below VBA code into the Module window.
VBA code: Make cells bold if greater than certain number
Sub BoldHighHours() Dim xRg As Range Dim xCell As Range Dim xAddress As String Dim xUpdate As Boolean On Error Resume Next xAddress = Application.ActiveWindow.RangeSelection.Address Set xRg = Application.InputBox("Please select a range", "Kutools for Excel", xAddress, , , , , 8) Set xRg = Application.Intersect(xRg, ActiveSheet.UsedRange) If xRg Is Nothing Then Exit Sub xUpdate = Application.ScreenUpdating Application.ScreenUpdating = False For Each xCell In xRg If VBA.IsNumeric(xCell.Value) Then _ xCell.Font.Bold = (xCell.Value > 90) Next Application.ScreenUpdating = xUpdate End Sub
Note: In the code, number 90 is the value you need to make cells bold based on. Please change it based on your own needs.
3. Press F5 key to run the code, in the Kutools for Excel dialog box, select the range you need to format cells with bold font, and then click the OK button.
Then cells which greater than number 90 are formatted with bold font.
The Select Specific Cells utility of Kutools for Excel will help you easily select the cells which are greater than certain number in a specified range at once, and then you can format them with bold font manually.
Before applying Kutools for Excel, please download and install it firstly.
1. Select the range, and then click Kutools > Select > Select Specific Cells. See screenshot:
2. In the Select Specific Cells dialog box, select Cell option in the Selection type section, and in the Specific type section, select Greater than in the drop-down list, enter the specific number into the textbox, and finally click the OK button.
3. Then a dialog box pops up to tell you how many cells are selected, click the OK button. Now only the cells greater than 90 are selected, keep selecting these cells, and then click the Bold button under Home tab to make them bold.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!