How to check if cell begins or ends with a specific character in Excel?
For a list of data, you may need to check certain cells if they are begin or end with a specific character. This article will recommend two methods for you to solve this problem.
For example, you want to check if a cell begins with a character “s”, or ends with a character “n”, please apply the following formulas to achieve it.
1. Select a blank cell (cell B2) in a help column for showing the result, enter formula into the Formula Bar, and then press the Enter key. See screenshot:
2. Keep selecting cell B2, and drag the Fill Handle down until all cells are checked.
The Select Specific Cells utility of Kutools for Excel will help you easily check if cell begins or ends with a specific character in Excel.
Before applying Kutools for Excel, please download and install it firstly.
1. Select the range you want to check cells begin or end with specific character, and then click Kutools > Select > Select Specific Cells. See screenshot:
2. In the Select Specific Cells dialog box, select the Cell option in the Selection type section, and in the Specific type section, choose Begins with or Ends with from the drop-down list, then type the character you will check into the textbox. Click the OK button.
3. Then a dialog box pops up to tell you how many cells are qualified and will be selected, please click the OK button. Then cells which begin with or end with a specified character are selected immediately.
Note: This utility supports selecting cells with two criteria. For example, you can select cells which begin with “S” or end with “n” at the same time as below screenshot shown.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!