How to check if cell begins or ends with a specific character in Excel?
For a list of data, you may need to check certain cells if they are begin or end with a specific character. This article will recommend two methods for you to solve this problem.
Excel Productivity Tools
Office Tab: Bring powerful tabs to Office (include Excel), just like Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer. Save you half the time, and reduce thousands of mouse clicks for you. 30-day Unlimited Free Trial
Kutools for Excel: Save 70% of your time and solve 80% Excel problems for you. 300+ advanced features designed for 1500+ work scenario, make Excel much easy and increase productivity immediately. 60-day Unlimited Free Trial
For example, you want to check if a cell begins with a character “s”, or ends with a character “n”, please apply the following formulas to achieve it.
1. Select a blank cell (cell B2) in a help column for showing the result, enter formula =IF(LEFT(TRIM(A2),1)="s","OK","Not OK") into the Formula Bar, and then press the Enter key. See screenshot:
2. Keep selecting cell B2, and drag the Fill Handle down until all cells are checked.
1. In the formula, A2 and “s” are the cell and first character you need to check. If the result appears Not OK, it means that the corresponding cell does not begin with character “s”, otherwise, it will get the OK result.
2. For checking if cell ends with a character “n”, please apply this formula =IF(RIGHT(TRIM(A2),1)="n","OK","Not OK"). See screenshot:
The Select Specific Cells utility of Kutools for Excel will help you easily check if cell begins or ends with a specific character in Excel.
1. Select the range you want to check cells begin or end with specific character, and then click Kutools > Select > Select Specific Cells. See screenshot:
2. In the Select Specific Cells dialog box, select the Cell option in the Selection type section, and in the Specific type section, choose Begins with or Ends with from the drop-down list, then type the character you will check into the textbox. Click the OK button.
3. Then a dialog box pops up to tell you how many cells are qualified and will be selected, please click the OK button.
Now cells which begin with or end with a specified character are selected immediately.
Note: This utility supports selecting cells with two criteria. For example, you can select cells which begin with “S” or end with “n” at the same time as below screenshot shown.
Kutools for Excel includes more than 300 handy Excel tools. Free to try with no limitation in 60 days. Download the free trial now!