How to rename an opened or active workbook in Excel?
When you want to rename an opened workbook, you may need to close it firstly, and then rename it which it is a little complex. Here in this tutorial, I introduce some quick ways to rename an opened workbook without closing it.
If you want to rename the active workbook without closing it, you can use the Save As command t to save it as a new workbook with a new name.
1. Click File or Office button, and choose Save As. See screenshot:
2. And then in the Save As dialog, rename the workbook in the File name textbox, see screenshot:
Tip: In Excel 2013/2016. Click Browse to go to the Save As dialog.
3. Click Save, and the active workbook has been save as a new workbook with a new name.
|Never need to worry about long long formulas in Excel anymore! Kutools for Excel's Auto Text can add all formulas to a group
as auto text, and liberate your brain! Know About Auto Text Get Free Trial
|Office Tab: Brings tabbed browsing, reading, editing, and managing in multiple documents in Microsoft Office 2016/2013/2010/2007/2003 and Office 365.|
If you do not want to save the opened workbook as new workbook to rename it, you can use a handle add-in – Office Tab which can help you view and edit multiple opened workbooks in a single tabbed window.
After installing Office Tab, please do as below:
1. Go to the workbook you want to rename, and right click at the tab name to select Rename from the context menu. See screenshot:
2. In the Office Tab dialog, type the new name into the textbook. See screenshot:
3. Click OK, and the current workbook has been renamed with new name without closing. See screenshot:
- How to count the number of visible sheets in a workbook?
- How to easily convert between multiple energy units in Excel?
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!