How to split / separate alphanumeric strings into two columns in Excel?
To separate the alphanumeric strings into two separated columns, one contains numbers, and another contains alphabetical characters, may help you handle the data as quickly as you need, this article, I will talk about some useful methods for you to split the alphanumeric strings into two individual columns.
For example, I have a range of alphanumeric strings needed to be separated into two columns as following screenshot shown:
Here, I can create a User Defined Function to solve this task, please do as follows:
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module Window.
VBA code: separate alphanumeric strings into two columns:
Function RetNum(Str As String) 'updateby Extendoffice Dim xRegEx As Object Set xRegEx = CreateObject("vbscript.regexp") xRegEx.Global = True xRegEx.Pattern = "[^\d]+" RetNum = xRegEx.Replace(Str, "") Set xRegEx = Nothing End Function Function RetNonNum(Str As String) Dim xRegEx As Object Set xRegEx = CreateObject("vbscript.regexp") xRegEx.Global = True xRegEx.Pattern = "[\d]+" RetNonNum = xRegEx.Replace(Str, "") Set xRegEx = Nothing End Function
3. Then save and close this code, go back to the worksheet, and enter this formula: =retnonnum(A2) into a blank cell, then drag the fill handle down to the cells to apply this formula, all the alphabetical characters have been extracted from the reference column at once, see screenshot:
4. Go on entering this formula: =retnum(A2) into another blank cell, and drag the fill handle down to the cells to contain this formula, then all numbers have been returned as following screenshot shown:
If you have Kutools for Excel, with its Split Cells utility, you can quickly split the alphanumeric strings into separated columns.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:
1. Select the alphanumeric strings that you want to separate.
2. Click Kutools > Merge & Split > Split Cells, see screenshot:
3. In the Split Cells dialog box, select Split to Columns under the Type section, and then choose Text and number under the Split by section, see screenshot:
4. Then click Ok button, and a prompt box will pop out to remind you select a cell where you need to locate the separated result, see screenshot:
5. And then click OK, the alphabetical characters and the numbers are separated into two columns at once, see screenshot:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!