How to count the number of commas/dashes separated values in a cell in Excel?
For example you have a cell containing many commas in Excel, how could you easily count the total number of all commas in this cell? This article provides two methods to solve it quickly!
- Count the number of commas/dashes in a cell with formula
- Count the number of commas/dashes in a cell with Kutools for Excel’s formula
This method will introduce a formula to quickly count the total number of all commas or dashes in one cell in Excel. Please do as follows:
Select the cell you will place the counting result, type the formula =LEN(A2)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A2,",","")) (A2 is the cell where you will count the commas) into it, and then drag this cell’s AutoFill Handle to the range as you need. See screenshot:
Note: For counting the number of dashes, please replace the commas with the dashes in the formulas as =LEN(A2)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A2,"-","")).
Sometimes, you may be not able to remember the formula exactly. Here we recommend the Count times a word appears formula of Kutools for Excel, which can help you quickly count a character or a word in a cell easily. Please do as follows:
1. Select a blank cell you will place the counting result into, and click Kutools > Formula Helper > Statistic > Count the number of a word.
2. In the opening Formula Helper dialog box, please specify the cell where you will count the commas/dashes in the Text box, type the , or - into the Word box, and click the OK button. See screenshot:
And then the total number of commas/dashes in the specified cell has been counted and returned into the selected cell. If necessary, please drag this cell’s AutoFill Handle to the range as you need. See screenshot:
Note: This Count times a word appears formula is also able to count the specified character or word in a range. See below screenshot:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!