How to set cell value equal to tab name in Excel?
In Excel, how could you set a cell value equal to the current tab name, when the sheet name changes and the cell value will be changed as well? In this article, I will talk about some quick tricks for solving this task in Excel.
The following formula may help you to get the current tab name into a cell, please do as follows:
1. Activate the worksheet that you want to extract the sheet name.
2. Then enter this formula: =MID(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("]",CELL("filename",A1))+1,256) into any blank cell, and then press Enter key, and the tab name has been extracted into the cell at once. See screenshot:
3. And when you change the sheet name, the cell value will be changed as well.
To set the cell value, header or footer equal to the current sheet name quickly without any formula, Kutools for Excel’s Insert Workbook Information utility can help you to get the tab name into a cell, header or footer as you need.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:
1. Activate the worksheet that you want to get its name.
2. Click Kutools Plus > Workbook > Insert Workbook Information, see screenshot:
3. In the Insert Workbook Information dialog box, select Worksheet name from the Information pane, and specify the location where you want to insert the sheet name, you can select a range of cells, the header or footer you desired, see screenshot:
4. Then click Ok button, and the cell value or header or footer is equal to the tab name at once, when the tab name changes, the cell value, header or footer will be changed as well.
Tips: With this feature, you can also insert the file name, file path, user name, created date, modified data into cell, header or footer and so on.
If you want to make a list of cell values equal to all of the tab names, you can apply the Create List of Sheet Name of Kutools for Excel, after installing Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:
1. Click Kutools Plus > Worksheet > Create List of Sheet Names, see screenshot:
2. In the Create List of Sheet Names dialog box, do the following operations:
(1.) Select Contains a list of hyperlinks option under the Sheet Index Styles section;
(2.) Specify a sheet name for a new worksheet where will list all the sheet names;
(3.) Choose a location to put the new sheet;
(4.) Specify how many columns to list the tab names.
3. After finishing the settings, click OK button, all the tab names of the current workbook have been listed into the new worksheet as following screenshot shown:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!