How to count how often a word or a value occurs in Excel?
In some cases, you may need to count how often a word or a value occurs in a single cell or a specified range in Excel. With this article, you will get two methods of solving this problem with details.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
You can apply the following formula to count how often a word/value occurs in a single cell or a specified range in Excel.
1. Select a blank cell for placing the result, enter formula =SUMPRODUCT((LEN(A2)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A2,C1,"")))/LEN(C1)) into the Formula Bar, then press the Enter key.
1. In the formula, A2 is the cell contains the string you will count word occurrence inside, C1 contains the specified word or value. Please change them based on your needs.
2. For counting how often a word occurs in a range, please change the cell reference to the range you need, such as =SUMPRODUCT((LEN(A2:A5)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A2:A5,C1,"")))/LEN(C1)). See screenshot:
3. This formula is case sensitive.
The Count times a word appears function of Kutools for Excel helps you easily count how often a word occurs in a cell or a range in Excel.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
1. Select a blank cell for locating the result, then click Kutools > Formulas > Count times a word appears. See screenshot:
2. In the Formula Helper dialog box, select the cell or range contains the word you need to count in the Text box, in the Word box, enter this certain word and enclose it with quotes. And finally click the OK button. See screenshot:
Then you will get the result of how often a word occurs in a cell or range in Excel.
|You can download and try the free trial now!|