How to add space between characters or every digit in Excel?
Supposing you have a list of text strings or numbers, for adding space between characters or every digits, what can you do? The following methods can help you solve this problem.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
You can use the following user-defined function to add space between characters or every digits in Excel.
1. Press Alt + F11 keys simultaneously to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. In the Microsoft Visual Basic for Application window, click Insert > Module. Then copy and paste the following code into the Module window.
VBA code: Add space between characters or every digits
Function AddSpace(Str As String) As String Dim i As Long For i = 1 To Len(Str) AddSpace = AddSpace & Mid(Str, i, 1) & " " Next i AddSpace = Trim(AddSpace) End Function
3. Press Alt + Q keys to close the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window and get back to the Excel window.
4. Select a blank cell, enter formula =AddSpace(B2) into the Formula Bar, then press the Enter key.
In this case, you can see spaces are added between characters of cell B2.
Note: For adding space between every digits, please change the cell reference in the formula to the one with numbers as you need.
If the VBA code is complicate for you, you can try the Add Text utility of Kutools for Excel. Please do as follows.
1. Select the cells you need to add space between characters or every digit, then click Kutools > Text > Add Text. See screenshot:
2. In the Add Text dialog box, click on the Text box, and press the Space key once to enter a space into the text box, then select the Only add to option.
For adding space between characters:
Choose 1st letter is uppercase/lowercase option in the drop-down list, and finally click the OK button.
For adding space between every digits:
Choose 1st character is number option in the drop-down list, and finally click the OK button.
Then the spaces are added between characters or every digit of the specified cells.
Kutools for Excel includes more than 300 handy Excel tools. Free to try with no limitation in 60 days. Download the free trial now!
- How to remove text before or after a specific character in Excel?
- How to count occurrences of specific character in a cell in Excel?