How to add space between characters or every digit in Excel?
Supposing you have a list of text strings or numbers, for adding space between characters or every digits, what can you do? The following methods can help you solve this problem.
You can use the following user-defined function to add space between characters or every digits in Excel.
1. Press Alt + F11 keys simultaneously to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. In the Microsoft Visual Basic for Application window, click Insert > Module. Then copy and paste the following code into the Module window.
VBA code: Add space between characters or every digits
Function AddSpace(Str As String) As String Dim i As Long For i = 1 To Len(Str) AddSpace = AddSpace & Mid(Str, i, 1) & " " Next i AddSpace = Trim(AddSpace) End Function
3. Press Alt + Q keys to close the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window and get back to the Excel window.
4. Select a blank cell, enter formula =AddSpace(B2) into the Formula Bar, then press the Enter key.
In this case, you can see spaces are added between characters of cell B2.
Note: For adding space between every digits, please change the cell reference in the formula to the one with numbers as you need.
If the VBA code is complicate for you, you can try the Add Text utility of Kutools for Excel. Please do as follows.
Before applying Kutools for Excel, please download and install it firstly.
1. Select the cells you need to add space between characters or every digit, then click Kutools > Text > Add Text. See screenshot:
2. In the Add Text dialog box, click on the Text box, and press the Space key once to enter a space into the text box, then select the Only add to option.
For adding space between characters:
Choose 1st letter is uppercase/lowercase option in the drop-down list, and finally click the OK button.
For adding space between every digits:
Choose 1st character is number option in the drop-down list, and finally click the OK button.
Then the spaces are added between characters or every digit of the specified cells.
- How to remove text before or after a specific character in Excel?
- How to count occurrences of specific character in a cell in Excel?
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!