How to split cell values vertically in Excel?
In Excel, you may apply the Text to Columns feature to split the cell values into multiple columns horizontally, but, it does not help you to split the cell contents into multiple rows vertically. And this article, I will talk about some quick ways to split the cell values into rows vertically by specific separator in Excel.
The following VBA code can help you to split the cell values into rows vertically by any separator as you want, please do as follows:
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module Window.
VBA code: Split cell values into rows vertically by specific separator
Sub splitvertically() 'updatebyExtendoffice 20160303 Dim xRg As Range Dim xOutRg As Range Dim xCell As Range Dim xTxt As String Dim xStr As String Dim xOutArr As Variant On Error Resume Next xTxt = ActiveWindow.RangeSelection.Address Set xRg = Application.InputBox("please select the data range:", "Kutools for Excel", xTxt, , , , , 8) If xRg Is Nothing Then Exit Sub Set xOutRg = Application.InputBox("please select output cell:", "Kutools for Excel", , , , , , 8) If xOutRg Is Nothing Then Exit Sub For Each xCell In xRg If xStr = "" Then xStr = xCell.Value Else xStr = xStr & ";" & xCell.Value End If Next xOutArr = VBA.Split(xStr, ";") xOutRg.Range("A1").Resize(UBound(xOutArr) + 1, 1) = Application.WorksheetFunction.Transpose(xOutArr) End Sub
3. Then press F5 key to run this code, and a prompt box will pop out to remind you select the cell values that you want to split vertically, see screenshot:
4. And then click OK button, another box will pop out to remind you select a cell to put the result, see screenshot:
5. Click OK button, and the cell values have been split into a list by a separator, see screenshot:
Note: In the above code, you can change the semicolon ; to any other delimiters that you need.
Kutools for Excel’s Split Cells feature is a powerful utility, it can help you to split cell values into multiple columns or rows by any separators as you need.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:
1. Select the cells that you want to split into rows by the specific delimiter.
2. Then click Kutools > Text > Split Cells, see screenshot:
3. In the Split Cells dialog box, select Split to Rows under the Type section, and then check Other from the Split by section, and enter the separator that you want to split the cell values based on, see screenshot:
4. And then click Ok button, in the popping out box, select a cell to output the result, see screenshot:
5. And click OK button, the cell values have been split into rows based on the specific separator as following screenshot shown: