How to quickly find missing date from a list in Excel?
Find missing dates with Conditional Formatting
Find missing dates with formula
Find and fill missing dates with Kutools for Excel
Find Missing Sequence Number
|Kutools for Excel's Find Missing Sequence Number utility can quickly find and fill the missing sequence number/date in a given sequnce list.|
Excel Productivity Tools
Office Tab: Bring powerful tabs to Office (include Excel), just like Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer. Save you half the time, and reduce thousands of mouse clicks for you. 30-day Unlimited Free Trial
Kutools for Excel: Save 70% of your time and solve 80% Excel problems for you. 300+ advanced features designed for 1500+ work scenario, make Excel much easy and increase productivity immediately.60-day Unlimited Free Trial
To find the missing dates from a list, you can apply Conditional Formatting function in Excel.
1. Select the date list, and then click Home > Conditional Formatting > New Rule. See screenshot:
2. In the New Formatting Rule dialog, select Use a formula to determine which cells to format in the Select a Rule Type section, and then type this formula =A2<>(A1+1) (A1 is the first cell in the date list, and A2 is the second cell) into the Format values where this formula is true text box. See screenshot:
3. Then click Format button to go to the Format Cells dialog, and the under Fill tab, select a background color to highlight the missing dates as you need. See screenshot:
4. Click OK > OK, then the position of the missing dates are highlighted.
Note: The last date in the date list will be highlighted.
Here you also can use a formula to quickly find the missing dates from the list.
Select a blank cell which next to the first cell of the date list, for instance, B1, and type this formula =IF(A2=A1+1,"","Missing next day"), then press Enter key and drag the autofill handle down to over the cells which need this formula. See screenshot:
Note: This formula will also add the “Missing next day” besides the last date in the date list.
If you have Kutools for Excel – an Excel handy tool installed, you can quickly find and fill the missing dates or sequence number with its Find Missing Sequence Number utility.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 120 handy Excel functions, enhance your working efficiency and save your working time.|
After free installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:
1. Select the date list you want to find the missing dates, and click Kutools > Insert > Find Missing Sequence Number. See screenshot:
2. In the Find Missing Sequence Number dialog, you can select the operation as you need. See screenshot:
3. And the Ok, and a dialog will pop out to tell you the number of missing sequence dates. See screenshot:
4. Click OK, now you can see the missing dates are found or filled.
Insert missing sequence number Insert blank rows when encountering missing sequence numbers
Insert new column with following missing maker Fill background color
Insert Sequence Number
|Kutools for Excel's Insert Sequence Number can create and insert a custom sequence of numeric string or alphanumeric string as you need.|