How to highlight consecutive duplicate cells from a list in Excel?
Supposing, I have a long list of data which contains some consecutive duplicate values, how could I highlight those consecutive duplicate cells as following screenshot shown in Excel?
In Excel, to highlight the consecutive duplicate values, the Conditional Formatting feature may do you a favor, please do as follows:
1. Select the data list that you want to use, and click Home > Conditional Formatting > New Rule, see screenshot:
2. In the New Formatting Rule dialog box, do the following operations:
(1.) Click Use a formula to determine which cells to format option under the Select a Rule Type;
(2.) In the Format values where this formula is true text box, please enter this formula: =OR($A1=$A2, $A2=$A3);
(3.) Then click Format button to go to the Format Cells dialog box;
(4.) In the popped out Format Cells dialog box, please choose one color you want to highlight the consecutive duplicate values under the Fill tab.
3. After finishing the settings, then click OK > OK to exit the dialogs, and the consecutive duplicate cells have been highlighted at once, see screenshot:
Note: With the above formula, you can highlight all the consecutive duplicate cells, if you want to highlight the consecutive duplicate cells without the first occurrences, please apply this formula: =$A1=$A2 in the Conditional Formatting, and you will get the following result:
If you have Kutools for Excel, with its Select Duplicate & Unique Cells utility, you can quickly highlight and select all the duplicate or unique values from a list as you need.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:
1. Select the data list that you want to select the duplicate cells, then click Kutools > Select > Select Duplicate & Unique Cells, see screenshot:
2. In the Select Duplicate & Unique Cells dialog box, please do as follows:
(1.) Select All duplicate (Including 1 st one) option from the Rule section;
(2.) Then choose a background color or font color that you want to highlight the duplicate cells under the Processing of results;
(3.) And then click Ok button, and all the duplicate values in the list have been selected and highlighted as you want. See screenshot:
Note: To highlight the duplicate cells without the first occurrences, please select Duplicates (Except 1 st one) in the Select Duplicate & Unique Cells dialog box, and you will return the following result:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!