How to move column/row without replacing/overwriting existing data in Excel?
When working in Excel, sometimes you may need to move a column or row to a new location in order to make it easy to read. In this article, we will introduce several methods for you.
An easy way for you to move column or row without replacing existing data with dragging. Please do as follows.
1. Click on the specified column heading or row number to select the entire column or row you need to move.
2. Move the cursor to the edge of selected column or row until it changes to a 4-sided arrow cursor , press and hold the Shift key then drag the selected column or row to a new location. See screenshot:
Now the selected column or row is moved to a new location as above screenshot shown.
Easily move column without replacing existing data in worksheet:
Also, you can move column or row without replacing existing data with cutting and pasting.
1. Select the entire column or row you need to move, right click on it and select Cut in the right-clicking menu.
2. Select and right click a certain column or row which you want to put the cut range before it, then click Insert Cut Cells in the list. See screenshot:
Then the cut column or row is moved to the certain location immediately.
Here i recommend you the Column List utility of Kutools for Excel, with this utility, you can view all columns in the column list pane, and move columns to new column postions by dragging and dropping.
Before applying Kutools for Excel, please download and install it firstly.
1. Click Kutools > Navigationto open the Kutools Pane. See screenshot:
2. Then the Kutools Navigation pane is displayed on the left side of Excel, you need to:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Spreadsheets： Experience Efficiency Like Never Before with Kutools for Excel
Kutools for Excel boasts over 300 features, ensuring that what you need is just a click away...
Supports Office/Excel 2007-2021 & newer, including 365 | Available in 44 languages | Enjoy a full-featured 30-day free trial.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!