How to move column/row without replacing/overwriting existing data in Excel?
When working in Excel, sometimes you may need to move a column or row to a new location in order to make it easy to read. In this article, we will introduce several methods for you.
An easy way for you to move column or row without replacing existing data with dragging. Please do as follows.
1. Click on the specified column heading or row number to select the entire column or row you need to move.
2. Move the cursor to the edge of selected column or row until it changes to a 4-sided arrow cursor , press and hold the Shift key then drag the selected column or row to a new location. See screenshot:
Now the selected column or row is moved to a new location as above screenshot shown.
Easily move column without replacing existing data in worksheet:
Also, you can move column or row without replacing existing data with cutting and pasting.
1. Select the entire column or row you need to move, right click on it and select Cut in the right-clicking menu.
2. Select and right click a certain column or row which you want to put the cut range before it, then click Insert Cut Cells in the list. See screenshot:
Then the cut column or row is moved to the certain location immediately.
Here i recommend you the Column List utility of Kutools for Excel, with this utility, you can view all columns in the column list pane, and move columns to new column postions by dragging and dropping.
Before applying Kutools for Excel, please download and install it firstly.
1. Click Kutools > Navigationto open the Kutools Pane. See screenshot:
2. Then the Kutools Navigation pane is displayed on the left side of Excel, you need to:
You are guest
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 months agoThis does not work. Shift button doesn't change anything. It still wants to replace data. I still cannot re-order my columns or rows without extra steps of creating new blank row and deleting old one.The other method of first cutting the data, then right-click to "Insert cut cells" works. I still feel it's more clunky than the google docs way of just dragging it, but at least there's a way to do it at all.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agodoes not work, it still want's to replace content
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agonot help full, i am so disappointed by the information provided