How to move column/row without replacing/overwriting existing data in Excel?
When working in Excel, sometimes you may need to move a column or row to a new location in order to make it easy to read. In this article, we will introduce several methods for you.
Excel Productivity Tools
Office Tab: Bring powerful tabs to Office (include Excel), just like Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer. Save you half the time, and reduce thousands of mouse clicks for you. 30-day Unlimited Free Trial
Kutools for Excel: Save 70% of your time and solve 80% Excel problems for you. 300+ advanced features designed for 1500+ work scenario, make Excel much easy and increase productivity immediately.60-day Unlimited Free Trial
An easy way for you to move column or row without replacing existing data with dragging. Please do as follows.
1. Click on the specified column heading or row number to select the entire column or row you need to move.
2. Move the cursor to the edge of selected column or row until it changes to a 4-sided arrow cursor , press and hold the Shift key then drag the selected column or row to a new location. See screenshot:
Now the selected column or row is moved to a new location as above screenshot shown.
Also, you can move column or row without replacing existing data with cutting and pasting.
1. Select the entire column or row you need to move, right click on it and select Cut in the right-clicking menu.
2. Select and right click a certain column or row which you want to put the cut range before it, then click Insert Cut Cells in the list. See screenshot:
Then the cut column or row is moved to the certain location immediately.
Here i recommend you the Column List utility of Kutools for Excel, with this utility, you can view all columns in the column list pane, and move columns to new column postions by dragging and dropping.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
1. Click Kutools > Navigationto open the Kutools Pane. See screenshot:
2. In the Kutools Pane, click to open the Column list section, then you can see all columns of current worksheet are listed in the pane with the column numbers and headers displaying. Please select a column, then drag and drop it to a new column position in the column list as you need. Then the column will be moved in the worksheet.