How to insert or delete partial row in Excel?
It is easy to insert or delete an entire row from worksheet in Excel. But how to insert or delete only partial row from worksheet? This article will help you.
For example you want to insert or delete partial row in row 5 with three cells, please do as follows.
Insert partial row
1. Select three cells in row 5 (the selected cells should equal to the inserted cells), then click Insert > Insert Cells under Home tab. See screenshot:
2. In the Insert dialog box, select Shift cells right or Shift cells down option and then click the OK button.
Then partial row with three cells is inserted as below screenshot shown.
Delete partial row
1. After selecting the partial row you want to delete, click Delete > Delete Cells under Home tab.
2. In the Delete dialog box, select Shift cells left or Shift cells up as you need, and then click the OK button. See screenshot:
Then the selected partial row is deleted.
You can also apply the following VBA codes to insert or delete partial row in Excel.
1. Select any cell in a certain row you want to insert partial rows, then press Alt + F11 to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. In the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, click Insert > Module. And then copy and paste the below VBA code into the Code window.
VBA code: Insert partial row in Excel
Sub InsertRow() Dim I As Long On Error Resume Next LInput: I = Application.InputBox("Enter number of rows required.", "Kutools for Excel", 1, , , , , 1) If I < 1 Then MsgBox "Error, please retype", vbInformation, "Kutools for Excel" GoTo LInput End If Cells(ActiveCell.Row, 1).Resize(Int(I), 3).Insert xlDown End Sub
Note: In the VBA code, number 1 means that the partial row will be inserted from the first column, and the number 3 means it will insert three cells between the columns. You can change them based on your needs.
3. Press the F5 key to run the code, then a Kutools for Excel dialog box pops up, please enter number of required rows you need, and then click the OK button.
If you enter 3 into the box, after click the OK button, three partial rows with three columns will be inserted in specified position of your worksheet.
For deleting partial row, you can run the below VBA code.
VBA code: Delete partial row in Excel
Sub DelActiveCell_Row() Dim I As Long On Error Resume Next LInput: I = Application.InputBox("Enter number of rows required.", "Kutools for Excel", 1, , , , , 1) If I < 1 Then MsgBox " Error, please retype", vbInformation, "Kutools for Excel" GoTo LInput End If Cells(ActiveCell.Row, 1).Resize(Int(I), 3).Delete xlShiftUp End Sub
After running the code, there also is a Kutools for Excel dialog box pops up to remind you how many partial rows you want to delete, please enter the number and click the OK button. Then the specified partial rows are deleted immediately.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!