How to easily enter dates without slashes in Excel?
Generally, when we enter standard dates, we need to enter slashes to separate them, such as MM/DD/YYYY. But in some times, you may want to directly enter dates as sequence numbers, for instances, 01022016, and then the dates can be converted to standard dates formatting as 1/2/2016 as below screenshot shown. Here in this article, I introduce the tricks on easily entering standard dates without slashes in Excel.
|In some times, you can have multiple nonstandard dates in your worksheet, and to convert all of them to the standard date mm/dd/yyyy maybe troublesome for you. Here Kutools for Excel's Conver to Date can quickly convert dates to standard date as mm/dd/yyyy format.|
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
In Excel, you can apply the Text to Columns feature to quickly convert 8-digits sequence numbers to standard dates.
1. Select the 8 digits numbers and click Data > Text to Columns. See screenshot:
2. In the step 1 of Convert Text to Columns Wizard, check Fixed width option, see screenshots:
3. Click Next > Next to go to the step 3 of the Wizard, and check Date option in Column data format section, and select MDY from next drop down list, and specify a cell as destination. See screenshot:
4. Click Finish. Now the sequence numbers have been converted to standard dates.
Tip: For correctly converting to dates, you can convert the numbers to text at first.
Also, you can apply the Format Cells feature to convert the sequence number to standard date format.
1. Select the numbers to right click, and select Format Cells from context menu. See screenshot:
2. Then in the Format Cells dialog, under Number tab, click Custom from the Category pane, and then go to Type textbox to enter ##"/"##"/"#### in the right section. See screenshot:
3. Click OK. And the selected numbers have been converted to standard dates.
IMoreover, you can apply formulas to convert numbers to date format.
Select a blank cell next to the numbers you want to use, enter this formula =DATE(RIGHT(A9,4),LEFT(A9,IF(LEN(A9) = 8,2,1)),LEFT(RIGHT(A9,6),2)), A9 is the number you want to convert, drag the autofill handle over the cells you want to apply this formula, see screenshot:
If you have Kutools for Excel, you can apply its Convert to Date utility to quickly convert multiple non-standard dates to standard dates.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 120 handy Excel functions, enhance your working efficiency and save your working time.|
After free installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:
Select the numbers you want to convert to dates, and click Kutools > Content > Convert to Date. See screenshot: