How to only hide part of cell value in Excel?
Partially hide social security numbers with Format Cells
To hide part of social security numbers in Excel, you can apply Format Cells to solve it.
1. Select the numbers you want to hide partially, and right click to select Format Cells from context menu. See screenshot:
2. Then in the Format Cells dialog, click Number tab, and select Custom from Category pane, and go to enter this 000,,"-**-****" into the Type box in right section. See screenshot:
3. Click OK, now partial numbers you selected have been hidden.
Note：it will round up the number if the forth number is larger than or eaqul to 5.
Partially hide text or number with formulas
With above method, you only can hide partial numbers, if you want to hide partial numbers or texts, you can do as below:
Here we hide first 4 numbers of the passport number.
Select one blank cell next to the passport number, F22 for instance, enter this formula ="****" & RIGHT(E22,5), and then drag autofill handle over the cell you need to apply this formula.
If you want to hide last four numbers, use this formula, = LEFT(H2,5)&"****"
f you want to hide middle three numbers, use this =LEFT(H2,3)&"***"&RIGHT(H2,3)
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Excel Solves Most of Your Problems, and Increases Your Productivity by
- Reuse: Quickly insert complex formulas, charts and anything that you have used before; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
- Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
- Merge Cells/Rows/Columns without losing Data; Split Cells Content; Combine Duplicate Rows/Columns... Prevent Duplicate Cells; Compare Ranges...
- Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
- Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
- Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
- Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
- Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
- More than
300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by
50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!