How to add hyphen between words in Excel?
Add hyphen between words by Text to Column and formula
Add hyphen between words by Find and Replace
Add hyphen between words by Kutools for Excel
Add Text (add character/word to a specific location of each cell in a range.)
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
The Text to Column function can separate the words into column based on space, and then you can use a formula to combine them with hyphen again.
1. Select the data list you want to add hyphens, and click Data > Text to Columns. See screenshot:
2. In the first step of Convert Text to Columns wizard, check Delimited option, and click Next > to step 2 of the Wizard, and check Space option under Delimiters section. See screenshot:
3. Click Next > to go the last step of the Wizard, select a cell to place the split data in Destination textbox. See screenshot:
4. Click Finish. Now the data list has been split into columns, and select a blank cell next to the split data, and enter this formula =C1&"-"&D1 (C1 and D1 is the split data), and then drag auto fill handle down to over the cell needed to apply this formula. See screenshot:
Actually, the Find and Replace function also can quickly replace spaces with hyphen.
1. Select the data you want to add hyphen symbols, and press Ctrl + H keys simultaneously to open the Find and Replace dialog.
2. In the Find and Replace dialog, under Replace tab, enter a space by space bar to the Find what textbox, and type a hyphen symbol to the Replace with textbox. See screenshot:
3. Click Replace All. A dialog pops out to remind you how many cells have been replaced successfully, please click the OK to close it. So far, all spaces have been replaced with hyphen in the selection. See screenshot:
4. Close the Find and Replace dialog.
If in some times, there is nothing to separate the words, how can you quickly add hyphen between words?
With Kutools for Excel, you can use its Add Text to add hyphen symbol to the front of every uppercase character, and then apply the Remove by Position to remove first hyphen.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 120 handy Excel functions, enhance your working efficiency and save your working time.|
After free installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:
1. Select the data you want to add hyphen, and click Kutools > Text > Add Text. See screenshot:
2. In the Add Text dialog, enter – into Text box, and then check Only add to option, and select 1st letter is uppercase from the drop down list. See screenshot:
3. Click Ok, and the front of each uppercase character has been added hyphen symbol, and click Kutools > Text > Remove by Position. See screenshot:
4. In the Remove by Position dialog, enter 1 into Numbers textbox, and check From left under Position section. See screenshot:
5. Click Ok, now the hyphen only be added between Words.