How to copy sheet and rename automatically in Excel?
In Excel, how could you copy a worksheet and rename it automatically without typing the name as usual? In this article, I will talk about how to copy a sheet one time or multiple times and give them specific names at once.
If you need to copy a worksheet multiple times, and give them series names, such as KTE-1, KTE-2, KTE-3, KTE-4…, the following VBA code can do you a favor.
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module Window.
VBA code: Copy a worksheet multiple times and rename at once:
Sub Create() 'Updateby Extendoffice Dim I As Long Dim xNumber As Integer Dim xName As String Dim xActiveSheet As Worksheet On Error Resume Next Application.ScreenUpdating = False Set xActiveSheet = ActiveSheet xNumber = InputBox("Enter number of times to copy the current sheet") For I = 1 To xNumber xName = ActiveSheet.Name xActiveSheet.Copy After:=ActiveWorkbook.Sheets(xName) ActiveSheet.Name = "KTE-" & I Next xActiveSheet.Activate Application.ScreenUpdating = True End Sub
3. Then press F5 key to run this code, and a prompt box will remind you how many copies of the current worksheet that you want to copy, see screenshot:
4. Enter the number of copies into the popped dialog, and then click OK button, your current worksheet has been duplicated 5 copies and renamed with sequence name as following screenshot shown:
Note: In the above code, you can change the worksheet name text “KTE-” to your needed.
Maybe the above VBA codes are difficult for you to apply, here, I will introduce an easy tool- Kutools for Excel, with its Create Sequence Worksheets utility, you can achieve this task without any effort.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:
1. Click Kutools Plus > Worksheet > Create Sequence Worksheets, see screenshot:
2. In the Create Sequence Worksheets dialog box:
(1.) Select the worksheet name that you want to copy from the Base Worksheet drop down list;
(2.) Then specify the number of worksheet that you want to copy under The number of create text box;
(3.) And then check Sequence Numbers under the Sheet names based on section;
(4.) At last, create the sequence worksheet names in the right pane that you want, see screenshot:
3. After finishing the settings, please click Ok button, and the specific worksheet has been copied multiple times and renamed based on your created sequence in a new workbook, see screenshot:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!