How to find position of nth space in Excel string?
For instance, there is a list of strings, and each cell contains several words which separated by spaces, have you any methods to quickly find the position of first space from these strings as below screenshot shown? In this article, I introduce the tricks on easily find the position of nth space in Excel.
To find the position of nth space, you can apply these formulas.
|Find position of first space||=FIND(" ",A1)|
|Find position of second space||=FIND(" ",A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1)|
|Find position of third space||=FIND(" ",A1,FIND(" ",A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1)+1)|
|Find position of forth space||=FIND(" ",A1,FIND(" ",A1,FIND(" ",A1, FIND(" ",A1)+1)+ 1)+1)|
Take instance, to find position of second space from the strings.
Select a blank cell, C2, enter this formula =FIND(" ",A2,FIND(" ",A2)+1), then drag auto fill handle down to the cell which needed this formula. See screenshot:
But in most of cases, you may want to remove the leading, trailing, extra or all spaces from a list of strings. In Excel, there are no built-in function can solve it, but with Kutools for Excel – a handy and powerful Excel add in tool, its Remove Spaces utility can quickly handle above operations as you need.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 300 handy functions, makes your jobs more easier.|
After free installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:
1. Select the strings you want to remove spaces, and then click Kutools > Text > Remove Spaces. See screenshot:
2. In the Remove Spaces dialog, check the option in the Spaces Type section as you need, and you can preview the removed result in the Preview section. See screenshot:
3. Click Ok or Apply, now the spaces are removed from the selected strings.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!