How to find position of nth space in Excel string?
For instance, there is a list of strings, and each cell contains several words which separated by spaces, have you any methods to quickly find the position of first space from these strings as below screenshot shown? In this article, I introduce the tricks on easily find the position of nth space in Excel.
|Kutools for Excel's Remove Spaces utility can remove leading spaces, trailing spaces, excess spaces or all spaces from a range cells.|
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
To find the position of nth space, you can apply these formulas.
|Find position of first space||=FIND(" ",A1)|
|Find position of second space||=FIND(" ",A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1)|
|Find position of third space||=FIND(" ",A1,FIND(" ",A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1)+1)|
|Find position of forth space||=FIND(" ",A1,FIND(" ",A1,FIND(" ",A1, FIND(" ",A1)+1)+ 1)+1)|
Take instance, to find position of second space from the strings.
Select a blank cell, C2, enter this formula =FIND(" ",A2,FIND(" ",A2)+1), then drag auto fill handle down to the cell which needed this formula. See screenshot:
|Kutools for Excel's Auto Text, collect all formulas to a group as auto text, you can insert them anytime as you want whithout remembering! Free Download Now!|
But in most of cases, you may want to remove the leading, trailing, extra or all spaces from a list of strings. In Excel, there are no built-in function can solve it, but with Kutools for Excel – a handy and powerful Excel add in tool, its Remove Spaces utility can quickly handle above operations as you need.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 120 handy Excel functions, enhance your working efficiency and save your working time.|
After free installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:
1. Select the strings you want to remove spaces, and then click Kutools > Text > Remove Spaces. See screenshot:
2. In the Remove Spaces dialog, check the option in the Spaces Type section as you need, and you can preview the removed result in the Preview section. See screenshot:
3. Click Ok or Apply, now the spaces are removed from the selected strings.