How to truncate number/text string in Excel?
In some times, there is a list of strings, which includes some long strings, and for neat and tidy, you may want to truncate the strings into a fixed length as below screenshot shown. Have you any tricks to quickly solve it in Excel?
For instance, here I just truncate the strings into six digit from left, and below formula can do a favor.
Select a blank cell next to the string you want to truncate, and enter this formula =LEFT(A1,6) (A1 is the string you use, and 6 indicates truncate the string into six characters), then drag fill handle over the cells which also need this formula. See screenshot:
Tip: If you want to truncate string from right side or middle, you can apply below formula：
Truncate into 4 digit from right side: =RIGHT(A1,4)
Truncate into 3 digit from the fourth character: =MID(A1,4,3)
Easily and quickly remove character by same position from each cell in Excel
|If you want to remove the forth character from each cells in a list, how can you quickly solve this job? Here, the Remove by Position utility of Kutools for Excel -- a addin tool can easily remove characters by position without formulas. Click for 30-day free trial.|
|Kutools for Excel: with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days.|
In Excel, you also can apply the Text to Columns function to split string into columns based on fixed width.
1. Select the strings you want to truncate, and click Data > Text to Columns. See screenshot:
2. In the step 1 of the Text to Columns wizard, check Fixed width option. See screenshot:
3. Click Next > to go to the step 2 of the wizard, and go to the Data preview section, click at the position of the string you want to split to create an arrow line. See screenshot:
4. Click Next > to go to the step 3 of the wizard, and specify a cell as the destination for splitting. See screenshot:
5. Click Finish. And the strings have been split by fixed width as you need.
Actually, if you have Kutools for Excel – a handy tool, you can apply its Remove by Position utility to quickly remove the characters you do not need for truncating the string.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 300 handy functions, makes your jobs more easier.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:（Free Download Kutools for Excel Now!)
1. Select the strings you want to truncate, click Kutools > Text > Remove by Position. See screenshot:
2. In the prompt dialog, enter the number of characters you want to remove in Numbers textbox, and check an option from Position section which decides the position you remove from. See screenshot:
3. Click Ok or Apply, the strings have been truncated as you need.
add same text to a specific location of each cell in Excel
|How could you add text or characters to the beginning of multiple cells, or add text or characters to the end of cells or insert text or characters between existing text? With Add Text utility of Kutools for Excel, you can quickly apply the following operations: . Click for full-featured free trial in 30 days!|
|Kutools for Excel: with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in full future 30 days.|