How to apply conditional formatting search for multiple words in Excel?
It may be easy for us to highlight rows based on a specific value, this article, I will talk about how to highlight cells in column A depending if they are found in the column D, which means, if the cell content contains any text in a specific list, then highlight as left screenshot shown.
In fact, the Conditional Formatting can help you to solve this job, please do with the following steps:
1. First, please create a range name for the specific words list, select the cell text and enter a range name Mylist (you can rename as you need) into the Name box, and press Enter key, see screenshot:
2. Then select the cells that you want to highlight, and click Home > Conditional Formatting > New Rule, in the New Formatting Rule dialog box, finish the below operations:
(1.) Click Use a formula to determine which cells to format under the Select a Rule Type list box;
(2.) Then enter this formula: =SUM(COUNTIF(A2,"*"&Mylist&"*")) (A2 is the first cell of the range you want to highlight, Mylist is the range name you have created in step 1) into the Format values where this formula is true text box;
(3.) And then click Format button.
3. Go to the Format Cells dialog box, and choose one color to highlight the cells under the Fill tab, see screenshot:
4. And then click OK > OK to close the dialogs, all the cells which contain any one of the specific list cell values are highlighted at once, see screenshot:
If you have Kutools for Excel, with its Super Filter utility, you can quickly filter the cells which contains specified text values, and then highlight them at once.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:
1. Click Kutools Plus > Super Filter, see screenshot:
2. In the Super Filter pane, please do the following operations:
- (1.) Check Specified option, and then click button to select the data range that you want to filter;
- (2.) Choose the relationship among the filter criteria as you need;
- (3.) Then set the criteria in the criteria list box.
3. After setting the criteria, click Filter to filter the cells contains the specific values as you need. And then choose one fill color for the seleted cells under Home tab, see screenshot:
4. And all the cells contains the specific values are highlighted, now, you can cancel the filter by clicking Clear button, see screenshot:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!