How to only allow certain values input or enter in Excel?
In Excel, we can protect cells for limiting users doing some special edit, but it cannot limit users to only input certain values. In this article, I introduce some tricks on only allowing certain values input in some cells in Excel.
|In some cases, you may want to prevent duplicates entering in a column, but how can you quickly solve this job? With Kutools for Excel' s Prevent Duplicate utility, you just need to select the column you want to limit and applyy Prevent Duplicate, the selected column has been limited to enter unique values only.|
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
The Data Validation function in Excel can help you to only allow certain values input in a selection.
1. Firstly, you need to enter the values you allow input in a list of cells. See screenshot:
2. Then select the cells you want to limit only the certain values input, and click Data > Data Validation. See screenshot:
3. Then, in the Data Validation dialog, under Settings tab, select List from the drop down list under Allow section, and click to select the list of values you have edited in step 1 to the Source box. See screenshot:
4. Click OK. Now the selection is only allowed to input with certain values. See screenshot:
If you enter other values which are not in the list, there will be an alert pops out.
If you want to only allow certain characters input in a selection, you can try Kutools for Excel – a handy and multi-functional tool, with it Prevent Typing utility, the selection will be only allowed to enter certain characters you specify.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 120 handy Excel functions, enhance your working efficiency and save your working time.|
After free installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:
1. Select the cells you want to limit, and click Kutools > Prevent Typing > Prevent Typing. See screenshot:
2. In the popping dialog, check Allow to type in these chars option, and enter the characters you allow input into the below text box, and check Case sensitive option. See screenshot:
3. Click Ok, and a dialog pops out to remind it will remove the Data Validation and click Yes to go to next remind dialog, and click OK to close it. See screenshot:
Now the Selection only can be allowed to type in A, B, C, D, E characters.
Tip: If you uncheck Case sensitive option, the selection can be input A, B, C, D, E, a, b, c, d, e.