How to count unique values with blanks in an Excel column?
Count unique numeric cells with blanks by formula
To count unique numeric cells, you can use this formula:
Select a cell that will put the counting result, enter this formula, =SUMPRODUCT((D2:D13<>"")/COUNTIF(D2:D13,D2:D13&"")), and hold Shift key and press Ctrl + Enter keys to count. See screenshot:
1. In the formula, D2:D13 is the list range that you want to count unique from.
2. This formula only work for numeric list.
Count unique values with Kutools for Excel
With Kutools for Excel’s Select Duplicate & Unique Cells utility, you can quickly count and highlight the unique values in a list which includes blank cells.
After free installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:
1. Select the list range you want to count, click Kutools > Select > Select Duplicate & Unique Cells. See screenshot:
2. In the Select Duplicate &Unique Cells dialog, check All unique (Include 1st duplicates) or Unique values only option as you need, and also you can check Fill backcolor or Fill font color option as you want. See screenshot:
3. Click Ok, and a dialog pops out to tell you the number of unique values. See screenshot:
4. Click OK to close dialogs, and now all unique values and one blank cell have been selected and highlighted. See screenshot:
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Excel Solves Most of Your Problems, and Increases Your Productivity by
- Reuse: Quickly insert complex formulas, charts and anything that you have used before; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
- Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
- Merge Cells/Rows/Columns without losing Data; Split Cells Content; Combine Duplicate Rows/Columns... Prevent Duplicate Cells; Compare Ranges...
- Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
- Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
- Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
- Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
- Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
- More than
300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by
50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!