How to count unique values with multiple criteria in Excel?
Here is a range of data containing several names, projects and locations, and what need to do is to find out the names which match the criteria I have list, and then count the each matched names once time only as below screenshot shown. Do you have any tricks on solving this job? In this article, I will introduce the tricks.
Here are some formulas can help you to count the unique values with multiple criteria.
1. Copy the name list excluding header and then paste them in another location, and click Data > Remove Duplicates. See screenshot:
2. In the popping warning dialog, check Continue with the current selection option, click Remove Duplicates button to go to next Remove Duplicates dialog, check the column header you want to remove duplicates, click OK. See screenshot:
3. Then the duplicate names are removed, and go to next cell beside the first name, I2 for instance, and type this formula =COUNTIFS(A2:A10,$H2,B2:B10,$E$2,C2:C10,$F$2), press Enter key and drag fill handle down to the cells you need to apply this formula. See screenshot:
Tip: in this formula, A2:A10 is the name list in the original data, and H2 is the first name in the pasted list that you removed duplicates just now, B2:B10 is the list of Project, E2 is the criterion you want to find in Project column, C2:C10 is the Location range, and F2 is the criterion you want to match in Location column, you can change them as you need.
4. Now it list the times of matching the criteria in each name. Select a blank cell where you will place the unique value’s counting result, type this formula =COUNTIF(I2:I7,">0") and press Enter key. See screenshot:
If you are confused with above formulas, you can apply Kutools for Excel’s Select Specific Cells and Select Duplicate & Unique Cells utilities to quickly handle it without any formulas.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 300 handy functions, makes your jobs more easier.|
After free installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:
1. Select Project column range, and click Kutools > Select > Select Specific Cells. See screenshot:
2. In the Select Specific Cells dialog, check Entire row option, and select Equals from the first drop down list in Specific type section, and enter the first criterion you need to match into the textbox. See screenshot:
3. Click Ok. A dialog pops out to remind you the number of selected rows, and click OK to close it. Then copy and paste the selected rows to another location. See screenshot:
4. Select the Location column from the pasted data and reapply apply the Select Specific Cells, and check Entire Row, Equal and enter the second criterion into the textbox, and then click Ok > OK and copy and paste the match rows to another location. See screenshot:
5. Then select the names in last pasted data, and click Kutools > Select > Select Duplicate & Unique Cells. See screenshot:
6. In the Select Duplicate & Unique Cells dialog, check All unique (Include 1st duplicates) or Unique values only as you need, check Fill backcolor or Fill font color option, and click Ok. Now a dialog pops out to show you the total number of unique values in the selection, and at the same time matched values are selected and highlighted. See screenshot: