How to increase or increment cell reference by X in Excel?
By default, when filling formulas down a column or across a row, cell references in the formulas are increased by one only. As below screenshot shown, how to increase relative cell references by 3 or more than 1 when filling down the formulas? This article will show you method to achieve it.
The following formulas can help you to increase cell references by X in Excel. Please do as follows.
For filling down to a column, you need to:
1. Select a blank cell for placing the first result, then enter formula =OFFSET($A$3,(ROW()-1)*3,0) into the formula bar, then press the Enter key. See screenshot:
Note: In the formula, $A$3 is the absolute reference to the first cell you need to get in a certain column, the number 1 indicates the row of cell that the formula is entered, and 3 is the number of rows you will increase.
2. Keep selecting the result cell, then drag the Fill Handle down the column to get all needed results.
For filling across a row, you need to:
1. Select a blank cell, enter formula =OFFSET($C$1,0,(COLUMN()-1)*3) into the Formula Bar, then press the Enter key. See screenshot:
2. Then drag the result cell across the row to get the needed results.
Note: In the formula, $C$1 is the absolute reference to the first cell you need to get in a certain row, the number 1 indicates the column of cell that the formula is entered and 3 is the number of columns you will increase. Please change them as you need.
Easily convert formula references in bulk (such as relative to absolute) in Excel:
The Kutools for Excel's Convert Refers utility helps you easily convert all formula references in bulk in selected range such as convert all relative to absolute at once in Excel.
Download Kutools for Excel now! (30-day free trail)
Best Office Productivity Tools
Easy to Uninstall Completely | Supports Office/Excel 2007-2021 and 365 | Available in 44 Languages
Kutools for Excel Boasts Over 300 Features, Ensuring That What You Need Is Just A Click Away...
Supercharge Your Spreadsheets: Experience Efficiency Like Never Before with Kutools for Excel
(Full-Featured 30-Day Free Trial)
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!