How to increase or increment cell reference by X in Excel?
By default, when filling formulas down a column or across a row, cell references in the formulas are increased by one only. As below screenshot shown, how to increase relative cell references by 3 or more than 1 when filling down the formulas? This article will show you method to achieve it.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
The following formulas can help you to increase cell references by X in Excel. Please do as follows.
For filling down to a column, you need to:
1. Select a blank cell for placing the first result, then enter formula =OFFSET($A$3,(ROW()-1)*3,0) into the formula bar, then press the Enter key. See screenshot:
Note: In the formula, $A$3 is the absolute reference to the first cell you need to get in a certain column, the number 1 indicates the row of cell that the formula is entered, and 3 is the number of rows you will increase.
2. Keep selecting the result cell, then drag the Fill Handle down the column to get all needed results.
For filling across a row, you need to:
1. Select a blank cell, enter formula =OFFSET($C$1,0,(COLUMN()-1)*3) into the Formula Bar, then press the Enter key. See screenshot:
2. Then drag the result cell across the row to get the needed results.
Note: In the formula, $C$1 is the absolute reference to the first cell you need to get in a certain row, the number 1 indicates the column of cell that the formula is entered and 3 is the number of columns you will increase. Please change them as you need.
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 19 days agoThank you! The OFFSET function was exactly what I was looking for to increment cell locations within a formula. It helped simplify my spreadsheet.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 months ago=OFFSET($A$3,(ROW()-1)*3,0)
What's the "0" for?
I copied this exactly and it just posted the formula instead of the result.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 5 days agoHi Kim,
The Excel OFFSET function returns a reference to a cell or a range of cells that is offset from a specific cell by a given number of rows and columns.
The number "0" here means that it will move 0 column right from cell A3 (still stay in column A).
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoI have a formula that has brackets CHASSIS_STRING[12,1],L1,C1'. I want to increase the 1 to 2 to 3, etc. in the same column. What's the best way to do that?
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoDear John,
Sorry can’t help with this, you can post your question in our forum: https://www.extendoffice.com/forum.html to get more Excel supports from our professional.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoHi. Hi hope you can help.
cell A1 has a formula =C1
I want to copy the formula of cell A1 to cell A13 but only to increase row by 1, (=C2)
What I get is =C13. It increments by the number of rows it skipped. I only want to increment it by one. Need some help.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoGood Day,
Sorry I can’t help with this, you can post your question in our forum: https://www.extendoffice.com/forum.html to get more Excel supports from our professional.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoI want to do the same thing. Did you get through?
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agohey please help me with this,
First i created simple text like this:
abc 5 a10
bcd 2 b10
now i want to create a form that shows me:
how many ad_id do u need? so than i enter 2. thannnn
than it will ask me for the name and id.. so here what it should do. it will check the name or match the name and then it will subtract from the id.
NOTE: i need it like this:
how many ad_id do u need?
2 (in the box)
name(in the box) id(in the box)
name(in the box) id(in the box)
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoWhat I want to do is slightly different. The Excel table displayed on a website page has some text, say "Done" in cell B2. The B2 text is part of a dynamic function and when it is clicked on the web page it increments the value in C2 by 1.Is there a function or combination of functions that will do these actions? I can do the basic increment in just the spreadsheet using formulas. The tricky part for me is having the text cell fire off the increment in another cell. How do you do increment from a text "link" that is really a function to increment another cell?
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoHow can I use offset to do the same for adding 5 cells together respectively. Ex. I would like to add B6-B10 into H5. Then I would like to add B12-B16 into H6....and so on for a long list.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoSaved lot of time for us! Thanks.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoThe awesome formula for the X incremental Rows/Columns!!! :-). Very useful!!