How to highlight duplicate rows across multiple columns in Excel?
For instance, if there is a range of values, how can you quickly highlight the duplicate rows across these multiple columns as below screenshot shown? In this article, I introduce some tricks on solving this job in Excel.
Select Duplicate & Unique Cells (quickly select duplicate or unique values in a column.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
Highlight duplicate rows across columns by Conditional Formatting
You can highlight duplicate rows across columns by applying a formula in Conditional Formatting function.
1. Select the data range, click Home > Conditional Formatting > New Rule. And in the popping New Formatting Rule dialog, select Use a formula to determine which cells to format, and paste this formula =COUNTIFS($A$2:$A$10,$A2,$B$2:$B$10,$B2,$C$2:$C$10,$C2)>1 into the Format values where this formula is true box. See screenshot:
2. Click Format in the New Formatting Rule dialog to open the Format Cells dialog. In the dialog, click Fill tab, and select one background color that you want to highlight the duplicate rows with. See screenshot:
3. Click OK > OK to close dialogs, and now the duplicate rows across multiple columns have been highlighted with the specified filled color. See screenshot:
Highlight duplicate rows across columns by Kutools for Excel
If there are dozens of columns you want to work with, the Conditional Formatting would not be a good choice to solve this job. However, you can apply Kutools for Excel’s Select Duplicate & Unique Cells utility to quickly highlight the rows across dozens of columns.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 120 handy functions, makes your jobs easier.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:(Free Download Kutools for Excel Now!)
1. Select the data range, click Kutools > Select > Select Duplicate & Unique Cells. See screenshot:
2. In the Select Duplicate & Unique Cells dialog, check Duplicates (Except 1st one) or All duplicates (Including 1st one) options as you need, and go to Processing of results section to specify the highlighting color and font color. Click Ok, and a dialog pops out to remind you the number of selected duplicate rows. See screenshot:
3. Click OK, now the duplicate rows have been highlighted. See screenshot:
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoThanks so much for this! When there is a duplicate, how can i have the 2nd occurrence highlighted instead of the 1st one? (when using regular excel). Thanks so much
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoSir, if you change the date of kate from 1/1/2016 to 1/2/2016 cell will be highlighted or not.... what i want is if date,name, and score are.same then highlight. If date is same name is same but score is different then should not be highlight. Please help.