How to highlight duplicate rows across multiple columns in Excel?
For instance, if there is a range of values, how can you quickly highlight the duplicate rows across these multiple columns as below screenshot shown? In this article, I introduce some tricks on solving this job in Excel.
Select Duplicate & Unique Cells (quickly select duplicate or unique values in a column.
Recommended Productivity Tools for Excel
Office Tab: Bring powerful tabs to Office (include Excel), just like Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer. Save you half the time, and reduce thousands of mouse clicks for you. 30-day Unlimited Free Trial
Kutools for Excel: Save 71% of your time and solve 82% Excel problems for you. 300+ advanced tools designed for 1500+ work scenario, make Excel much easy and increase productivity immediately.60-day Unlimited Free Trial
Highlight duplicate rows across columns by Conditional Formatting
You can highlight duplicate rows across columns by applying a formula in Conditional Formatting function.
1. Select the data range, click Home > Conditional Formatting > New Rule. And in the popping New Formatting Rule dialog, select Use a formula to determine which cells to format, and paste this formula =COUNTIFS($A$2:$A$10,$A2,$B$2:$B$10,$B2,$C$2:$C$10,$C2)>1 into the Format values where this formula is true box. See screenshot:
2. Click Format in the New Formatting Rule dialog to open the Format Cells dialog. In the dialog, click Fill tab, and select one background color that you want to highlight the duplicate rows with. See screenshot:
3. Click OK > OK to close dialogs, and now the duplicate rows across multiple columns have been highlighted with the specified filled color. See screenshot:
Highlight duplicate rows across columns by Kutools for Excel
If there are dozens of columns you want to work with, the Conditional Formatting would not be a good choice to solve this job. However, you can apply Kutools for Excel’s Select Duplicate & Unique Cells utility to quickly highlight the rows across dozens of columns.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 120 handy functions, makes your jobs easier.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:(Free Download Kutools for Excel Now!)
1. Select the data range, click Kutools > Select > Select Duplicate & Unique Cells. See screenshot:
2. In the Select Duplicate & Unique Cells dialog, check Duplicates (Except 1st one) or All duplicates (Including 1st one) options as you need, and go to Processing of results section to specify the highlighting color and font color. Click Ok, and a dialog pops out to remind you the number of selected duplicate rows. See screenshot:
3. Click OK, now the duplicate rows have been highlighted. See screenshot:
Recommended Productivity Tools
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 9 months agoThanks so much for this! When there is a duplicate, how can i have the 2nd occurrence highlighted instead of the 1st one? (when using regular excel). Thanks so much
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoSir, if you change the date of kate from 1/1/2016 to 1/2/2016 cell will be highlighted or not.... what i want is if date,name, and score are.same then highlight. If date is same name is same but score is different then should not be highlight. Please help.