How to open a closed workbook in Excel?
If you are fed up with opening a closed workbook by double clicking to open the containing folders one by one, you can try the quick method we provided in this article. With the following VBA script, you can easily open a closed workbook by just running the code.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
You can run the below VBA code to open a closed workbook in Excel. Please do as follows.
1. Press Alt + F11 keys simultaneously to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. In the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, click Insert > Module. Then copy and paste thebelow VBA code into the Module window.
VBA code: Open a closed workbook in Excel
Sub OpenClosedWorkbook() Dim xWb As Workbook Dim wbName As String On Error Resume Next Set xWb = Workbooks.Open("F:\new\add.xlsx") wbName = xWb.Name If Err.Number <> 0 Then MsgBox "This workbook does not exist", vbInformation, "Kutools for Excel" Err.Clear Else MsgBox "The workbook is opened", vbInformation, "Kutools for Excel" End If End Sub
Note: In the code, F:\new\add.xlsx is the path and file name of the closed workbook you need to open. Please change it based on your needs.
3. Press the F5 key to run the code to open the specified closed workbook.
1. If the workbook existing in your computer, it will be opened automatically after running the code, meanwhile, a Kutools for Excel dialog box will pop up to remind you the workbook is opened.
2. And if the workbook does not exist, after running the code, a Kutools for Excel dialog box will pop up to remind you as below right screenshot shown.