How to open a closed workbook in Excel?
If you are fed up with opening a closed workbook by double clicking to open the containing folders one by one, you can try the quick method we provided in this article. With the following VBA script, you can easily open a closed workbook by just running the code.
You can run the below VBA code to open a closed workbook in Excel. Please do as follows.
1. Press Alt + F11 keys simultaneously to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. In the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, click Insert > Module. Then copy and paste thebelow VBA code into the Module window.
VBA code: Open a closed workbook in Excel
Sub OpenClosedWorkbook() Dim xWb As Workbook Dim wbName As String On Error Resume Next Set xWb = Workbooks.Open("F:\new\add.xlsx") wbName = xWb.Name If Err.Number <> 0 Then MsgBox "This workbook does not exist", vbInformation, "Kutools for Excel" Err.Clear Else MsgBox "The workbook is opened", vbInformation, "Kutools for Excel" End If End Sub
Note: In the code, F:\new\add.xlsx is the path and file name of the closed workbook you need to open. Please change it based on your needs.
3. Press the F5 key to run the code to open the specified closed workbook.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!