How to sort data numerically then alphabetically in Excel?
In Excel, when you sort an alphanumeric string list, it will sort the alpha first at default, but in some special cases, you may want to sort the strings numerically first. In this case, I will introduce a trick to add a help column to solve it.
To sort alphanumeric strings numercially, you need to apply a formula to extract the number from the string to a helper column.
1. Select a blank cell next to the strings, B2 for instance, enter this formula =MID(A2,2,3), and then drag fill handle down to the cells you need. See screenshot:
2. Then keep the formula cells selected, and click Data tab to select one sorting order as you need, in the Sort Warning dialog, check Expand the selection option. See screenshot:
3. Click Sort, and the data has been sort numerically. You can remove the helper column after sorting.
If the alphanumeric strings are not combined with the same number of numeric characters and alpha characters as below screenshot shown, how can you quickly sort them numerciallly then alphabetically?
With Kutools for Excel, you can apply its Remove Characters utility to leave only numbers of each string firstly, and then sort them.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 300 handy functions, makes your jobs more easier.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:(Free Download Kutools for Excel Now!)
1. Copy and paste the data into a new column, column F for instance, and then click Kutools > Text > Remove Characters. See screenshot:
. In the popping dialog, check Non-numeric option, and then click Ok, the alpha characters have been removed from the copy. See screenshot:
3. Keep the copy selected, click Data tab to choose the sorting order you need, check Expand the selection option in the Sort Warning dialog. See screenshot:
4. Click Sort, then the strings have been sorted ascending. You can delete the copy after sorting.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!