How to sort list of numbers separated by commas in Excel?
Sorting a list of values in ascending or descending order is quite common in our daily Excel jobs, but have you ever tried to sort numbers separated by commas in an Excel cell as below screenshot shown? In this article, I introduce the tricks to quickly handle it.
|With Kutools for Excel's Split Cells, you can quickly split one single cell or a range cells into multiple rows/columns based on specific separator or fixed width.|
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
To sort comma separated values in a cell, you need to separate the numbers into separated cells first by Text to column, transpose them to a list, and then sort.
1. Select the cells you want to split to separated cells by comma, and click Data > Text to Columns. And in the step 1 of Convert Text to Columns Wizard, check Delimited option. See screenshot:
2. Click Next to go to the step 2 of the Wizard, and check Comma checkbox, and click Next to go to step 3 of the Wizard, select one cell to out put the split values. See screenshot:
3. Click Finish, and the comma separated values have been split into cells. See screenshot:
4. Select the split cells, and press Ctrl + C to copy them, and then select a blank cell, right click to show the context menu, click Paste Special > Transpose. See screenshot:
Then the values have been transposed as below screenshot shown:
5. Select one column of the transposed values, click Data tab, and select a sorting order as you need in the Sort & Filter group. In the popping Sort Warning dialog, please check the Continue with the current selection option, and click the OK button.
And now the selected column is sorted in the specfied order. See screenshot:
6. Then repeat step 5 to sort the transposed values one by one. See screenshot:
If you have Kutools for Excel, you just need to split the comma separated values from one cell to rows by the Split Cells utility, and then sort.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 120 handy functions, makes your jobs easier.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:(Free Download Kutools for Excel Now!)
1. Select the range you want to split by comma separated, and click Kutools > Text > Split Cells, and in the Split Cells dialog, check Split to Rows option in Type section, and go to check Other in Split by section, and enter , into the beside textbox. See screenshot:
2. Click Ok, a dialog pops out to remind you to select a cell to place the split values, click OK, and the range values have been split into rows by commas. See screenshot:
3. Select one of split columns, click Data > Sort Smallest to Largest or Sort Largest to Smallest as you need, and finally check the Continue with the current selection option and click OK button in the popping Sort Warning dialog. See screenshot:
4. Repeat above Step 3 to sort all split columns one by one.