How to sort list of numbers separated by commas in Excel?
Sorting a list of values in ascending or descending order is quite common in our daily Excel jobs, but have you ever tried to sort numbers separated by commas in an Excel cell as below screenshot shown? In this article, I introduce the tricks to quickly handle it.
|With Kutools for Excel's Split Cells, you can quickly split one single cell or a range cells into multiple rows/columns based on specific separator or fixed width.|
Excel Productivity Tools
Office Tab: Bring powerful tabs to Office (include Excel), just like Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer. Save you half the time, and reduce thousands of mouse clicks for you. 30-day Unlimited Free Trial
Kutools for Excel: Save 70% of your time and solve 80% Excel problems for you. 300+ advanced features designed for 1500+ work scenario, make Excel much easy and increase productivity immediately. 60-day Unlimited Free Trial
To sort comma separated values in a cell, you need to separate the numbers into separated cells first by Text to column, transpose them to a list, and then sort.
1. Select the cells you want to split to separated cells by comma, and click Data > Text to Columns. And in the step 1 of Convert Text to Columns Wizard, check Delimited option. See screenshot:
2. Click Next to go to the step 2 of the Wizard, and check Comma checkbox, and click Next to go to step 3 of the Wizard, select one cell to out put the split values. See screenshot:
3. Click Finish, and the comma separated values have been split into cells. See screenshot:
4. Select the split cells, and press Ctrl + C to copy them, and then select a blank cell, right click to show the context menu, click Paste Special > Transpose. See screenshot:
Then the values have been transposed as below screenshot shown:
5. Select one column of the transposed values, click Data tab, and select a sorting order as you need in the Sort & Filter group. In the popping Sort Warning dialog, please check the Continue with the current selection option, and click the OK button.
And now the selected column is sorted in the specfied order. See screenshot:
6. Then repeat step 5 to sort the transposed values one by one. See screenshot:
If you have Kutools for Excel, you just need to split the comma separated values from one cell to rows by the Split Cells utility, and then sort.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 120 handy functions, makes your jobs easier.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:(Free Download Kutools for Excel Now!)
1. Select the range you want to split by comma separated, and click Kutools > Text > Split Cells, and in the Split Cells dialog, check Split to Rows option in Type section, and go to check Other in Split by section, and enter , into the beside textbox. See screenshot:
2. Click Ok, a dialog pops out to remind you to select a cell to place the split values, click OK, and the range values have been split into rows by commas. See screenshot:
3. Select one of split columns, click Data > Sort Smallest to Largest or Sort Largest to Smallest as you need, and finally check the Continue with the current selection option and click OK button in the popping Sort Warning dialog. See screenshot:
4. Repeat above Step 3 to sort all split columns one by one.