How to sort mixed zip codes (5 digits and 9 digits) ascending in Excel?
As we know, there are two types of zip codes, one is 5-digits series, and the other is the 9-digits series. In this case, there is a list mixed with these two types of zip codes, the job is to sort the zip codes by first five basic digits as below screenshot shown, how can you quickly handle it?
You can create a helper column and use a formula to extract the first five digits from the zip codes, then sort by this helper column.
1. Select a blank cell next to the zip codes, and then enter this formula =LEFT(C2,5), drag fill handle down to the cells you need. See screenshot:
2. Then all the first five zip codes have been extracted. Click Data tab, go to Sort & Filter group to select a sorting order you need, in the Sort Warning dialog, check Expand the selection. See screenshot:
3. Click Sort. Now the range have been sorted by the zip codes’ first five digits.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!