How to transpose reference while auto fill down/right in Excel?
In general, when we drag auto fill handle right from a cell, the column reference will be changed horizontally, on the other hand, the row reference will change vertically while dragging fill handle down. However, in this article, I introduce a formula which can help you transpose the reference while dragging fill handle down and right in Excel as below screenshot shown.
To transpose the reference while filling right or down, you can apply a simple Transpose function.
Select the cells you want to fill formula, and enter this formula =TRANSPOSE(Sheet2!$B$1:B12) in the formula bar, press Shift + Ctrl + Enter key. See screenshot:
In the formula, B1:B12 is the range you want to transpose, you can change it as you need.
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 4 months agoAmazing, thank you
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 10 months agoTHIS SAVED MY LIFE. THANKS
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoThanks, I was looking for this!
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoThis didn't work for me. When I hit shift+cntrl+enter I see the brackets appear around my transpose command but nothing happens in the cells I highlighted.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoHow to copy a raw [put in mind the row is formula and not a value] and paste it in another sheet as a column ?
Since it's a formula it won't work, Please support on this as it's making me crazy :)
Thanks in advance :)
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoI do not understand clearly about your question, but if you just want to transpose the row formulas into a column formulas, you just need to use Past as Transpose function in right click context menu.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoThanks a lot!