How to easily rank data by absolute value in Excel?
Here is a list that contains positive values and negative values, but in this case, I want to rank all values by their absolute values as below screenshot shown. You can rank them manually, however, actually, I have some tricks to quickly solve this task in Excel.
Here is a formula can help you to rank data by the absolute values.
Select a cell you will place the ranking result, type this formula =SUMPRODUCT((ABS(A2)>=ABS(A$2:A$10))*(A$2:A$10<>""))-SUMPRODUCT((ABS(A2)=ABS(A$2:A$10))*A$2:A$10<>""))+1 and drag down to apply this formula to the cells you need.
In the formula, A2 is the first cell you want to rank, A2:A10 is the range you need to rank by absolute values.
If you want to try a quick add-in tool to solve this task, you can apply the Change Sign of Values of Kutools for Excel to change all negative values to positive values first, then apply Rank function to rank.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 300 handy functions, makes your jobs more easier.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:(Free Download Kutools for Excel Now!)
1. Select the value you want to rank, click Kutools > Content > Change sign of Values. See screenshot:
2. In the Change Sign of Values dialog, check Change all negative values to positive option, click Ok or Apply. Then all negative values in the selection have been converted to positive. See screenshot:
3. In the cell you want to place the ranking result, type this formula =RANK(D2,$D$2:$D$10), and drag auto fill down to apply this formula to the cells.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Spreadsheets： Experience Efficiency Like Never Before with Kutools for Excel
Kutools for Excel boasts over 300 features, ensuring that what you need is just a click away...
Supports Office/Excel 2007-2021 & newer, including 365 | Available in 44 languages | Enjoy a full-featured 30-day free trial.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!