How to check if one list against another in Excel?
There are two lists in a sheet, the job is to check if there are some data in one list against another one, which means to check if there are some duplicates in one list based on another. Here I introduce some tricks on quickly finding if one list against another one in Excel.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
Here are some formulas can quickly check if one list against another one.
In the adjacent cell to the first list you want to check, type this formula =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A2,$C$2:$C$6,1,0)),"No","Yes"), and drag fill handle down to the cells you want to check.
1. In the formula, A2 is the first cell of the list you want to check if against to another one, C2:C6 is the second list you want to check based on.
2. You also can apply this formula =IF(COUNTIF($C$2:$C$6,A2)>0,TRUE,FALSE) to handle this job.
If you want to check one list if against another one and highlight the duplicates, you can apply Kutools for Excel’s Select Samee & Different Cells utility.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 120 handy functions, makes your jobs easier.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:(Free Download Kutools for Excel Now!)
1. Click Kutools > Select > Select Same & Different Cells. See screenshot:
2. In the popping dialog, do as below:
A: Select the list you want to check to the Find values in textbox, and select the list you want to check based on into the According to textbox.
B: check Each row in the Based on section.
C: check Same values in Find section.
D: Check and select the background color or font color if you want to highlight the duplicates.
3. Click Ok, and a dialog pops out to remind you that the duplicate values have been selected. Click OK to close the dialog, and the duplicates in the first list have been selected and highlight with background color.