How to automatically remove duplicates form a list in Excel?
In Excel, we can use the Remove Duplicates feature to remove the same values from a list, but is there any trick to auto remove the duplicates from the list? In this article, I introduce the tricks on automatically removing duplicates if there is duplicate appearing in a specify Excel column.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
1. Click Data > Data Validation. See screenshot:
2. In the popping dialog, under Settings tab, select Custom form Allow list, and type this formula =COUNTIF($A$1:$A$20,A1)=1 into the Formula text box. See screenshot:
In the formula, A1:A20 is the range you want to auto remove duplicate from.
3. Click OK. And now if you type a duplicate value, a warning dialog will pop out.
If you are not familiar with formulas, you can apply Kutools for Excel’s Prevent Duplicate utility to stop from duplicates being typed in range at once.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 120 handy functions, makes your jobs easier.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:(Free Download Kutools for Excel Now!)
Select the range or a column you want to auto remove duplicates, and then click Kutools > Prevent Typing > Prevent Duplicate. See screenshot:
Some dialogs pop out for reminding you some notices, click Yes > OK to close the dialogs.
Now a warning dialog pops out to remind you while you try to enter duplicate values.
Here is another relative utility called Prevent Typing, you can specify the character you want to prevent typing or only allow typing in a list as below screenshot show: