How to limit access to a range of cells in Excel?
If you protect a sheet with the Protect Sheet feature in Excel, all cells in the whole sheet will be protected. But in some cases, you may just want to limit access to a range of cells and leaving others to be editable, how can you solve it? In this article, I am going to talking about how to limit access to a range of cells in Excel.
Restrict access to cells
Restrict access to cells
1. Select the whole worksheet by clicking the triangle in left corner. See screenshot:
2. Then right click to choose Format Cells from the context menu. See screenshot:
3. In the Format Cells dialog, under Protection tab, uncheck Locked option. See screenshot:
4. Click OK, then select the range you want to limit access to, and press Ctrl + 1 keys together to enable the Format Cells dialog again, then check Locked option under Protection tab. See screenshot:
5. Click OK. Then go to Review > Protect Sheet to enable the Protect Sheet dialog, and check Protect Worksheet and contents of locked cells option, and check Select unlocked cells or other options as you need in the Allow all users of this worksheet to section, type and confirm the password. See screenshot.
6.. Click OK. Now only the locked cells cannot be edit, and other cells are free.
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Excel Solves Most of Your Problems, and Increases Your Productivity by
- Reuse: Quickly insert complex formulas, charts and anything that you have used before; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
- Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
- Merge Cells/Rows/Columns without losing Data; Split Cells Content; Combine Duplicate Rows/Columns... Prevent Duplicate Cells; Compare Ranges...
- Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
- Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
- Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
- Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
- Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
- More than
300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by
50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!