How to quickly create simple to do list in Excel?
To do list is useful for us to mark the tasks which have been completed. But, do you know how to create to do list in Excel worksheet?
You can create to do list by using drop down list. Please do with following step by step:
1. Select the cells where you want to insert the drop down list, and then click Data > Data Validation > Data Validation, see screenshot:
2. In the Data Validation dialog box, under the Settings tab, please choose List from the Allow drop down, and then click button to select the cell values you want to use in the drop down, see screenshot:
3. Now, the drop down lists have been inserted into the cells.
4. And then select the cell range you want to create to do list. And click Home > Conditional Formatting > New Rule, see screenshot:
5. In the New Formatting Rule dialog box, select Use a formula to determine which cells to format in the Select a Rule Type list box, and then enter this formula =$B2="Complete" into the Format values where this formula is true text box, see screenshot:
Note: In the above formula, B2 is the cell which contains the drop down list, and Complete is the text that you want to format.
6. Then click Format button to go to the Format Cells dialog box, in this dialog, click Font tab, and then check Strikethrough from the Effects section, and you can choose one color for the to do list item as you need, see screenshot:
7. Then click OK > OK to close the dialogs, and, a simple to do list is created. Now, when you select Complete from the drop down list, the task item will be deleted by a strikethrough, see screenshot:
You can also create to do list by using a checkbox, when checking the checkbox beside the task item, the task item will be formatted as strikethrough as below screenshot shown:
Please do with the following steps:
1. First, insert the checkbox by clicking Developer > Insert > Check Box (Form Control), see screenshot:
2. Then drag the mouse to draw a checkbox, and then select the cell with the checkbox, drag the fill handle down to fill the checkboxes as following screenshot shown:
3. Then you can edit the checkbox to remove the text to get the following screenshot:
Tips: If you have Kutools for Excel, with its Batch Insert Check Boxes feature, you can insert a list of checkboxes as quickly as possible. Click to download Kutools for Excel!
4. After inserting and editing the checkboxes, you should link each check box to a separate cell, right click a check box, and then choose Format Control, see screenshot:
5. In the Format Control dialog box, under the Control tab, please click button to select an adjacent cell to link the check box, see screenshot:
6. Then click OK, and then repeat the above two steps to link each check box to its adjacent cell one by one, then if the checkbox is checked, a TRUE is displayed, if unchecked, a FALSE is displayed, see screenshot:
7. And then select the cell range A2:C13 which you want to create the to do list, and click Home > Conditional Formatting > New Rule to go to the New Formatting Rule dialog box.
8. In the New Formatting Rule dialog, click Use a formula to determine which cells to format in the Select a Rule Type list box, and then enter this formula =C2=TRUE into the Format values where this formula is true text box, see screenshot:
Note: C2 is a cell which linked to the check box.
9. And then click Format button to go to the Format Cells dialog box, under the Font tab, check the Strikethrough from the Effects section, and specify a color for the to do list item as you want, see screenshot:
10. At last, click OK > OK to close the dialogs, now, when you check the check box, its corresponding task item will be format as strikethrough, you can hide the linked cells column as you need, see screenshot:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!