How to conditional formatting based on another sheet in Google sheet?
If you want to apply the conditional formatting to highlight cells based on a list of data from another sheet as following screenshot shown in Google sheet, do you have any easy and good methods for solving it?
Please do with the following steps to finish this job:
1. Click Format > Conditional formatting, see screenshot:
2. In the Conditional format rules pane, please do the following operations:
(1.) Click button to select the column data that you want to highlight;
(2.) In the Format cells if drop-down list, please choose Custom formula is option, and then enter this formula: =match(C2,indirect("data list!A2:A"),0) into the text box;
(3.) Then select one formatting from the Formatting style as you need.
Note: In the above formula: C2 is the first cell of the column data that you want to highlight, and the data list!A2:A is the sheet name and list cells range which contains the criteria you want to highlight the cells based on.
3. And all the matching cells based on the list cells have been highlighted at once, then you should click the Done button to close the Conditional format rules pane as you need.
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 months agoThe "indirect" command information was very helpful. Thank you.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoAmazing! Thank you! Worked perfectly!
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoI found this really useful for referncing against one sheet, however is it possible to reference against all other sheets?
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoHow about the opposite? I'd like to highlight a cell that doesn't match. How could I modify this formula to work for me?
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoIs it possible to do this, but based on more than one column, and also highlight the whole row? I have a set of data that has Last Name and First Name columns as well as other data. I am then taking those names and arranging into groups on another sheet. I want to have a formula where once the particular person has been placed on the second sheet, they are 'done' and so their entire row (name + associated data for them) is highlighted in a color for 'done' on the original sheet.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoHI,
This is a very nice tutorial! how can I add a second condition to it? I'm seeking to match the cells and if the cels J:N in the correspondent row is not blank. I'm trying this, but it's not working:
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoHave you tried tried just using =if(J2:N<>"") as a new rule?