How to split cell contents into columns or rows based on newline in Google sheet?
If you have a list of text strings which are separated with a carriage return, and now, you want to split the cell contents into columns or rows by the newline in Google sheet. How could achieve it as quickly as possible?
To split the cell contents into columns or rows by carriage return, please apply the following formulas:
Split cell contents into columns based on carriage return:
1. Enter this formula: =split(A1,char(10)&",") into a blank cell where you want to output the result, and then press Enter key, the text strings have been split into multiple columns as following screenshot shown:
2. Then drag the fill handle down to the cells which you want to apply the formula, and all cell contents have been separated into multiple columns as you need, see screenshot:
Split cell contents into rows based on carriage return:
Please apply this formula: =transpose(split(join(char(10),A1:A4),char(10))) into a blank cell to output the result, and then press Enter key, all the cell contents have been split into multiple rows as following screenshot shown:
In Microsoft Excel, the utility Split Cells of Kutools for Excel can help you to split cell contents into columns or rows based on space, comma, semicolon, newline and so on.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:
1. Select the cells that you want to split by newline, and then click Kutools > Text > Split Cells, see screenshot:
2. In the Split Cells dialog box, select Split to Rows or Split to Columns as you need in the Type section, and then select New line from the Split by section, see screenshot:
3. Then click Ok button, a prompt box is popped out to remind you to select a cell to put the split result, see screenshot:
4. Click OK, and you will get the following result if you choose Split to columns option in the dialog box.
If selecting Split to rows option, the cell contents will be split into multiple rows as below screenshot shown: